Sign in to follow this  

Skybox

This topic is 3571 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, After reading lots of posts here I came up with this: // create my box (width=1,height=1,depth=1) centered at camera (origin for now) CreateBox(); // render D3DXMatrixOrthoLH(&projectionMatrix,0.75f,0.75f,-1.0f,1.0f); g_d3d_device->SetTransform(D3DTS_PROJECTION,&projectionMatrix); D3DXMatrixIdentity(&viewMatrix); g_d3d_device->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW,&viewMatrix); D3DXMatrixRotationYawPitchRoll(&worldMatrix,camera_yaw,camera_pitch,0.0f); g_d3d_device->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD,&worldMatrix); g_d3d_device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ZENABLE,D3DZB_FALSE); g_d3d_device->DrawPrimitive(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST,0,36); // then change transformations to draw my objects on top Is that a proper way of doing it ? Am I correct is thinking that the width and height of D3DXMatrixOrthoLH() has to be a minimum of (0.71,0.71) ? Should I use D3DXMatrixOrthoLH() at all ? Also, should my texture be square or have a 4:3 ratio ? I know I'll have to "perspective correct" my textures but I don't want to get to that until I know for sure my render code is right. Thank you.

There is a sample with the Diretx SDK called HDRFormats. There are two files in that sample (skybox.h and skybox.cpp) containing a simple, easy to use and well written class for a skybox. Hope this helps.

You don't want to use an orthographic projection, you want to use a perspective projection. In fact you probably want to use the same perspective projection that you use for the rest of your scene. You also don't need to use a world transform, you can set that to indentity. Then for your view transform use your view matrix but with the translation portion (._41, ._42, ._43) set to 0.

Hi MJP,

I did it like you said and I don't see anything at all:

// initialize

CreateBox();

D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH(&projectionMatrix,D3DX_PI/4,1.0f,1.0f,100.0f);
g_d3d_device->SetTransform(D3DTS_PROJECTION,&projectionMatrix);

// render

D3DXVECTOR3 vEyePt(0.0f,0.0f,0.0f);
D3DXVECTOR3 vLookatPt(0.0f,0.0f,1.0f);
D3DXVECTOR3 vUpVec(0.0f,1.0f,0.0f);

D3DXMatrixLookAtLH(&viewMatrix,&vEyePt,&vLookatPt,&vUpVec);
g_d3d_device->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW,&viewMatrix);

viewMatrix._41=0.0f;
viewMatrix._42=0.0f;
viewMatrix._43=0.0f;

D3DXMatrixIdentity(&worldMatrix);
g_d3d_device->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD,&worldMatrix);

g_d3d_device->Clear(0,NULL,D3DCLEAR_TARGET|D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER,D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0,0,0),1.0f,0);

g_d3d_device->BeginScene();

g_d3d_device->SetStreamSource(0,g_vertex_buffer,0,sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX));
g_d3d_device->SetFVF(D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX);

g_d3d_device->SetTexture(0,g_texture_01);
g_d3d_device->SetTextureStageState(0,D3DTSS_COLOROP,D3DTOP_MODULATE);
g_d3d_device->SetTextureStageState(0,D3DTSS_COLORARG1,D3DTA_TEXTURE);
g_d3d_device->SetTextureStageState(0,D3DTSS_COLORARG2,D3DTA_DIFFUSE);
g_d3d_device->SetTextureStageState(0,D3DTSS_ALPHAOP,D3DTOP_DISABLE);

g_d3d_device->DrawPrimitive(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST,0,12);

g_d3d_device->EndScene();

g_d3d_device->Present(NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL);

I must be doing something wrong. If I translate the box (using the world matrix) 10 units away from me (positive z) I see the box, but when I'm inside it I can't see anything. It's not the culling.

Please help.

Quote:
Original post by Endemoniada
I must be doing something wrong. If I translate the box (using the world matrix) 10 units away from me (positive z) I see the box, but when I'm inside it I can't see anything. It's not the culling.

Please help.

The near-clip plane of your camera is 1 units. Is the size of your box is also 1 units? If so, the camera is clipping your box.

Hi, I think you may need to set back face culling
something like this before you draw
Device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_CULLMODE,D3DCULL_NONE)

Hey guys,

I got it to work, it was the near-z that was causing the problem.

It doesn't look right though: when I rotate around the y-axis (yaw) about 45 degrees then rotate around the x-axis (pitch) it looks like it's rolling. I understand why that's happening but what do I do to fix it ? Is that where I ned to have "perspective corrected" textures or am I simply applying the rotation matrix all wrong ?

Thanks.

This topic is 3571 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.