help with memory leak

Started by
19 comments, last by scottrick49 16 years, 1 month ago
The rate of memory increase seems to depend on how often the screen is redrawn. Single buffering allows render to be called much more frequently and the memory climbs very fast (1 mb/sec, approximately). With double buffering, it only gets called 60 times a second and the memory climbs at about 4 kb/s or maybe a little slower than that.
scottrick49
Advertisement
What compiler are you using?
Where you get the glut library?
Is the glut32.dll match the version of the glut library your program linking?

Also, are you sure your testing program contain just the source code you posted?
I am using Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition.

I am pretty sure I got the glut stuff from nate robins' (sp?) webpage.

I am not sure how to check the glut dll version and the version I am linking against.

I am sure that the code I posted is the only thing being compiled. I can upload the visual studio solution if you wish.
scottrick49
Please forgive me, I'm always suspicious of Microsoft product.

Is there any chance for you to find a older version Visual C++ to compile and testing your program? (e.g. Visual C++ 6 )
ugh... i compile with vs2005 on another machine and it does not seem to be happening... I recently bought a new laptop and when I was setting everything up I thought I would try out vs2008 express. It seemed to work well, but maybe there are problems with it?!? I had started working on this project on my old machine using vs2005 (where i just tested this) and I had no memory leaks, so maybe it isn't the code?
scottrick49
Quote:Original post by scottrick49
ugh... i compile with vs2005 on another machine and it does not seem to be happening... I recently bought a new laptop and when I was setting everything up I thought I would try out vs2008 express. It seemed to work well, but maybe there are problems with it?!? I had started working on this project on my old machine using vs2005 (where i just tested this) and I had no memory leaks, so maybe it isn't the code?

It's possible that there's some memory allocation record being kept around. Does the leak happen when you compile and run in Release mode?
Yes it still happens.
scottrick49
I can confirm that also leaks in ArchLinux, using :

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8400M GS/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 169.07

Also a Dell XPS m1330. Looks like a GLUT or nVidia bug.
Hmm so doesn't sound like there is anything I can do except just live with it. This should make it fun tracking down other memory leaks haha. It would also explain why it doesn't happen on my older machine.
scottrick49
For some reason, I am still using Visual Studio 6 and glut. And, I have never encounter memory leak for such a basic implementation.

If you wanted, I can compile your program and give you the executeable for testing. Hopefully, it can provide some more information about the memory leak.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement