Sign in to follow this  
rpstaekwondo

c++ .net on a mac?

swiftcoder    18432
Mono runs on the Mac, but I have a feeling that they only have a C# compiler, not a managed-C++ compiler. In which case, the answer is no.

I have a question for you as well as that answer though: why? I don't see it offering any benefits over the native APIs, or a cross-platform toolkit such as wxWindows (which BTW is pre-installed on Tiger and Leopard).

EdR    117
Quote:
Original post by swiftcoder
Mono runs on the Mac, but I have a feeling that they only have a C# compiler, not a managed-C++ compiler. In which case, the answer is no.

I have a question for you as well as that answer though: why? I don't see it offering any benefits over the native APIs, or a cross-platform toolkit such as wxWindows (which BTW is pre-installed on Tiger and Leopard).

It's crossplatform, as are its libraries. For example, I'm writing a game in .NET using the SDL.NET graphics libraries. It runs without recompilation on Mac and Linux machines. It's like Java, without the suck.

OP: If you plan on doing .NET development, there's really no reason to use C++/CLI. Learn C#.

jpetrie    13104
mono is your only real shot, as it's the most featureful non-.NET CLR out there. Unfortunately, they don't really do C++/CLI well.

C++/CLI's niche is interop between managed and unmanaged code, and interaction with legacy codebases. I don't see any compelling reasons to develop new non-interop-oriented technology on C++/CLI. I'd go with C# as the above poster suggests.

oler1s    585
Dev-C++ is not a compiler. It's an IDE for MingW, which is the windows port of gcc. Macs also have a gcc port.

swiftcoder    18432
Quote:
Original post by Edward Ropple
It's crossplatform, as are its libraries. For example, I'm writing a game in .NET using the SDL.NET graphics libraries. It runs without recompilation on Mac and Linux machines. It's like Java, without the suck.

Ja, I didn't word that quite right. I meant why would you want to use it from C++, when aiming to be cross-platform.

Quote:
Original post by oler1s
Dev-C++ is not a compiler. It's an IDE for MingW, which is the windows port of gcc. Macs also have a gcc port.

There is also a very nice IDE, called XCode. It can be found on the operating system installation disks, along with the compilers and other dev tools.

gekko    478
Quote:
Original post by rpstaekwondo
fine, forget .net framework, but is there a compiler that works like, dev-cpp for macs?

Install the development tools and you'll get gcc.

Kaze    948
Quote:
Original post by rpstaekwondo
fine, forget .net framework, but is there a compiler that works like, dev-cpp for macs?

if you still want to use .net you could just go with C# and SharpDevelop

if not try codeblocks