Sign in to follow this  
Jouei

Win32 Html Broswer

Jouei    102
Im making an MySql Database manager and i wish to use some basic html to display the results from searchs and Query's. I was woundering if there were any open source Basic html browser i can use or use as a decent refrence to write my own or if there is a default windows control that i can use. Ps. Any Pitfalls and problems that may arise would be nice to note if you know them. Regards jouei.

SiCrane    11839
Both Gecko (the HTML rendering engine for Mozilla/Firefox) and IE are available to be embedded in Windows applications. Both of them can be used as ActiveX objects for example. The exact steps required depend on your programming language and any windowing frameworks you are using for application development.

Jouei    102
Currently im useing C++ and Win32 Api. i can't belvie i forgot to mention that the real issue is that the application will end up being for commerical use.

So i do need something that i can still use and beable to sell the software application when it is done.

Regards Jouei.

kloffy    1318
What's wrong with providing the html and letting the users pick their browser to view it?
Edit: Nevermind, I realized you probably want to integrate the html into your existing interface. An external browser wont help you with that.

Antheus    2409
Why not make entire interface in HTML?

Databases are generally remote. If you provide an embedded browser you'll need a HTTP server anyway.

Commercial use? Many years ago commercial world discovered that web applications are the holy grail of administration.

Authenticity? No problem with web application. With custom application, you'll need double authentication. One for HTTP stream, other for the rest of the application.

Browser specific applications? Generally very bad. HTML is well defined, and reasonably well understood.

Performance? You don't gain anything important by going half-half. Queries will take most of the time. If interface is sluggish, there's AJAX.

Compatibility? What could be more compatible than server process, that feeds your application with HTTP stream.

I don't know, perhaps you have some ultra super demanding solutions... But for browsing queries, writing business applications, and everything else, that's what web applications are for.

Quote:
I was woundering if there were any open source Basic html browser i can use or use as a decent refrence to write my own or if there is a default windows control that i can use.
Sure there are.

And no, you cannot write one on your own. Flying Saucer, a CSS compatible browser has been in development by a team for over three years. It's still not complete, and not because of incompetence.

Quote:
Any Pitfalls and problems that may arise would be nice to note if you know them

Yes. Time. You're looking at 5-10 year project, during which time HTML 5 will come out.

IMHO - write a web application.

neonic    367
I don't see why you are telling him to write a pure web based application Antheus. It sounds to me like he has a nice UI app set up already. You do not need an HTTP server to give HTML formatted pages. Try it, go to your desktop and create a text file and rename it html. Add some HTML code and boom. All he wants to do is generate an HTML page from some data that his Program gathers. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Since you are using the Win32 api anyways, that leads me to believe that you don't much care for cross platform development. May I suggest that you move over to .Net programming Windows Forms via C++?

This might help:
http://www.developer.com/net/cplus/article.php/1378751

Solias    564
Quote:
Original post by Jouei
... if there is a default windows control that i can use.

Actually there is something like this. The core components used by IE provide COM interfaces you can use to work with HTML. MSHTML handles the DOM and rendering web pages, or you can embed a web browser window in your app. There is more info on MSDN. I've used MSHTML in projects before. If you are familiar with COM it's pretty easy to use. I expect there are .net interfaces to this stuff too.

Jouei    102
For the most part the broswer is just to display the retreaved information.

And ther reason for a software instead of web based is a templating system for getting reports and being able to lay them out sort of like an old.. old program refered to as Win Form.

Pepole can drag and drop Differt Text controls and sort of use it like a Word Document but save it and just type in the users name or whatever data filed they like and the Form will be auto populated and be print able.

Another reason is for alot of pepole who are not Datbase Swavie.

I am trying to create a Datbase manager that require no knoldege of Database use and or very little with wide amount of documentation its mostly for doing reports and things of that sort and by not having them to install something like Php Admin on each server that host there files they can simply connect to what ever site they want by making presets its mostly for ease of use and for those whose hosting requires a very tigh Hd space :p... if that even applys now a days.

I was looking at the Webbroswer intreface brought forth by the Ole controls.

As for the wbebroswer it will only load files witch the application generates and displays there is no need for the browser to do My Sql Querries as the application will do that itself. By useing a Web broswer embeded in the application itself it will mak it easy for memory management on my part thats all and less pron to a memory leak and take less time to debug in the end it was simply a software desing decision.

Hence the application does the query generates the file and then the emmbeded browser loads the file for display.

Thats the jist of it in the end i will devleop Other Dlls for runtime loading so more then MySql will be acessable.
Thanks for the respones Regards Jouei.

Jouei    102
Hmm thats intresting Very instresting lol But alas i need to go to bed gota get sleep before work :p.

Thanks for all the replys i feel like i hit a slight nerve in the midst of programers here :p.

Regards jouei.

taby    1265
I have C++ code which launches an IE instance within a plain Win32 API window. URLs are intercepted before they are opened. That way you can really do anything based on an web-centric layout. It's really quite handy, and can lead to the delegation of UI layout duties away from the programmer. No MFC.

Anyway, if you want, give a shout.