Sign in to follow this  
67rtyus

OpenGL Confusion about DirectX9 under Vista

Hi; I was working on my strategy game using DirectX 9 before my good old computer decided to die in some day in the middle of the february.It had a P4 2.8 Ghz,a Radeon 9800,1 GB of memory and had Windows XP installed on it.Nearly a month ago,I bought a totatly new system with a 2.4GHz Core2Quad,a Geforce 8600 GS,2 GB of RAM and unfortunately with Windows Vista installed. Well,I don't have any intention to switch to DX10,because I really don't have the time and willingness to learn it and start to write my whole project from scratch.(I already did that when I switched from OpenGL to DX 1.5 years ago) Well,I will do that inevitably sometime in future,when DX9 will become totally history, but not now.. My question is about compability issues under Vista. As far as I remember,DX9 has two versions under Vista,one which supports Vista's new driver model and another which is compatible with old XP drivers or something like that.I used a fairly old version of DX9 SDK for my game (February 2006 release I think) in my old computer. If I would go and download the latest DX9 SDK and would try to run with that my old code as it is,might I have any chance for success? How can I know under which DX9 mode my game runs? And most importantly,do i need to modify my code for the DX9 under Vista,which I unimaginably hate? Or to put it differently, what is the difference between DX9 for XP and DX9 for Vista from the coder's point of view? Thanks in advance

You shouldn't have to change anything. If you want to use the old versions of the SDK, you can keep using that. If you want to use a newer one, it shouldn't break your code unless you used anything that became deprecated (which is unlikely). The Vista extensions for D3D9, known as D3D9Ex, are only accessed when you create a explicitly create an IDirect3D9Ex object and a corresponding IDirect3D9DeviceEx device.

For what it's worth, I haven't had any compatibility problems with any of the code I've written. As long as your code stuck to the documented Windows API functions and doesn't do anything crazy, you should be fine. You should also make sure that your app doesn't do anything that requires Admin privileges , since by default users run with limited privileges in Vista.