Shoot em up in RTS??

Started by
27 comments, last by Life unlived 16 years, 1 month ago
I have been designing and programming a Turn based strategy game for a long period of time now. I have been contemplating on the idea of a more interesting battle system then the current risk-like battle system. My idea is to try and execute battle in real-time unlike the rest of the time in game. I base this idea off of the fact that each turn in game time is 5 years and a single battle rarely lasts that long. I have been thinking of beginning to design my real-time battle system with various shoot em up arcade elements to add more fun and excitement to my utterly dull god game. The arcade elements I have been thinking about adding is to have more of a personal relationship with each character, and to less focus on having mass armies and have greater focus on smaller groups using specialized tactics. One example would be the ability to select one of many preset actions and when wanted even be able to aim your archers. I would like to hear other people’s feedback on this idea before I begin my code. [Edited by - Life unlived on March 9, 2008 1:13:00 PM]
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
Advertisement
I am kind of in a hurry at the moment, so if you would like to hear a more in depth description of the battle system I have in mind just send me a personal message.

[Edited by - Life unlived on March 9, 2008 12:34:11 PM]
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
I'm not 200 people, so I don't want to aim 200 archers.
Certain artillery weapons in Total Annihilation could be aimed manually; it was tricky to do, but if you got it right you could get better range than if you allowed the automatic targetting to do it.

It could, if implemented well, add an entertaining skill element to a game. I can imagine a kind of realtime worms game, where instead of selecting an enemy to shoot at, you set a trajectory and let rip.

However, as Sneftel says, no-one wants to manually aim 200 archers whilst simultaneously trying to manage everything else that needs to be managed in a typical RTS. So if you do include this sort of mechanic, you'll want to think very carefully about how big a part it plays, and how it fits in with the rest of the gameplay.
There was a Roman-era RTS released last year (forgot the name...Edit: Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War) which used the WarcarftIII idea of hero-characters, except it let you go into 3rd-person mode with your hero and run around in hack'n'slash mode. You could also use a bow while controlling the hero.
It was actually a pretty fun feature for an otherwise bland RTS ;)

[Edited by - Hodgman on March 3, 2008 10:08:22 PM]
Dungeon Keeper did that. You should check it to see how they did it.
this limits the amount of units you can have. In dungeon keeper you could use it to do special things, like taking one guy sneaking round the defenses and open a door etc. Once you have 5 or more guys this becomes cumbersome.

In a "real rts" i think this feature would be simply annoying.
Erik
There was a game, Dogs of War I think, that was full Realtime gameplay, but allowed you to take control of one of your units. It was more of a squad deploy battle style, you get your squad, you finish the battle, you maybe get a way to get some reinforcements.

I only played it a few times at a friend's place, but I enjoyed it.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote:Original post by Life unlived
im kinda in a hurry right now so if youw ant to hear a more proffesional description just pm me and ill get it too you or post it inthe forums later

isn't this pirate_lord?? with the pro"ff"esional and the "too" instead of "to"....
Quote:Original post by idrisz
isn't this pirate_lord?? with the pro"ff"esional and the "too" instead of "to"....

Can't be... Mr Pirate is retired now, remember?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement