Sign in to follow this  
m0ng00se

Power of two

Hi all, Just a question about this power of two thing. I need to load a pack of cards into a 2D game engine that requires Power of Two sprite sheets for animation. I thought the easiest way is just put 52 cards on a sprite sheet so the whole pack is loaded into memory. Seems easier than loading each card off disk as it is referenced. I'm not animating the actual cards though. I'll just grab them as I need them off the sprite sheet and display them as a static object on screen. One by one to simulate dealing two hands of five cards each. Seeing as I'm not animating the cards do I still need to use power of two for the sprite sheet? Just means I can pack them up more tightly and use a smaller sheet if I don't need power of two. m0ng00se

It depends on the engine or library you're using, perhaps you could check the relevant documentation or just give it a try and see what happens? Some engines won't allow you to load a non-power-of-two texture, others will convert it for you if you do, and yet others again won't care at all and will just load any size for you.

It sounds like performance isn't going to be an issue for you, so as long as whatever engine or library you're using allows you to actually do so there probably isn't any reason you can't use a non-power-of-two sprite sheet.