Sign in to follow this  
rHornbek

AS3 Mentor

I am looking for an ActionScript 3 mentor who would be willing to discuss elements of the code with me over IM. I am currently reading Essential ActionScript 3.0 by Carlin Mook, which was recommended to me by another professional ActionScripter. For the most part, what I really need is someone to ask questions to when the book cannot answer me. Please send a personal message, any help would do, thanks!

Master Yoda is away defeating evil creatures right now. You might find it difficult to find a "mentor" since everybody is usually busy. What you can do, is use the internet to search and get examples running, and then ask specific questions which anybody will gladly chip in to answer.

It is very helpful if you indicate how much general programming experience you have already... Are you just starting, or have you been programming for a while? How long and what languages?

Rationale: ActionScript should be a breeze for anyone who has done a little javascript, as the languages are very similar (and in fact closely related). It also should be simple coming from Java or even C# - C++ or Lisp will require a little more flexibility of mind.

To answer a few questions...

I have taken two semesters of C++, one of which had the worst teacher I had ever encountered.

I am not sure how else to describe how far along I am in AS3 other than I have created a simple calculator. In addition I have been reading Essential ActionScript 3.0 and I am on the subject of Inheritances and Interfaces (not GUI).

I have gone online and found example scripts and video tutorials but neither can respond to inquiries. I am not looking for a full on teacher but constructive acquaintance.

Maybe a "mentor" is too strong of a word, however I would like to be acquainted with someone who is more available than a forum post, that can take days to get a response.

For the most part I am looking for someone who is no less knowledgeable on the subject than I and who is willing to chat consistently on the subject. This could be a learning experience for BOTH of us.

Thank you, and notify me when Yoda is free.