Sign in to follow this  
churroe

Need help in deciding which major

I'm looking to get into a good college next year, but my counselors have been telling me to start planning . So as i was planning, I noticed in College board that there are different majors which all relate to getting into the game developing business. Computer Science, Computer Programming, and Game Design. I want to know which one is the best one to take to get into the game development industry, especially if you want to be a programmer. For night and day for the past 6 months i have been self teaching myself c++ and taking on small projects so that might help me in the long run. What are some good colleges. Distance isn't an issue as long as it's in the U.S. It has to be a 4 year college where i can get a bachelor's degree or masters. I don't want to get anything lower than a bachelor's degree. Please Help guys. I haven't had any luck at all.

Computer Science.

The best colleges for it in the US are generally considered to be Carnegie Mellon, MIT, and Stanford (in some variance of that order). UC also tends to have a good program, which will vary from campus to campus, since you're in Cali. I don't know of too much in the south though.

I recently came here for the same reasons. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is the best idea to go for Computer Science.

As a direct quote from what I was told...

Quote:
Original post by smitty1276
My only other recommendation, which I didn't explicitly make earlier, is that you should set out to become a kick ass computer scientist, not a game developer. If you are the former, you can do the latter.

Sorry I cant help with selecting a local school as I do not know much about the ones in your area, but if you would like to read the rest of my similar post, click my name and look for my post "Need help with choosing a school" =)

Quote:
Original post by churroe
Computer Science, Computer Programming, and Game Design

Yes, as spyridonz mentioned, there are several very recent threads on this topic. You should check all those out. Assuming you are going to do that, I'll provide the ultimate message in all of them:

Major in Computer Science, not Game Development

But, following that, if you know what you're doing and have examined all your options, it's certainly not a terrible thing to get a Bachelors in Game Development.

Quote:
Original post by Shakedown
the ultimate message in all of them:
Major in Computer Science, not Game Development

Yes, that has been the ultimate message, many times, time and again, over and over, to each person who thought his situation was unique and none of the previous responses applied to him. It's still the right answer. If you want to become a programmer, study CS.
That's the advice we give, and we get tired of giving it over and over again, but we also recognize that each individual still has to decide whether to accept it or not. Making decisions can be difficult, especially at that crucial stage of life when high school is coming to an end. I know I found it difficult to have to make my own life decision back then.
It's just a matter of collecting information, then putting it together in a way that it can be quantified. I wrote an article on how to arrive at this decision - it's at http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson25.htm.

If you're a California resident, you will likely be best served by going to a UC campus. Tuition is low, quality is good, the schools are well-known. Berkeley, UCSD, and UCLA are the top three for computer science. UC Merced is an interesting wildcard to consider.