Simple Linux Game graphical output.

Started by
5 comments, last by tychon 16 years, 1 month ago
I'd like to take a baby-step in graphical output by making an ascii console game, or something very simple like that. What linux libraries would I be using to create a window that you can take charge of size and characters (maybe even pixels), and output what you want? I'm just new to C++ and I'd like to go beyond text games. Thanks.
Advertisement
If you want to do an ASCII game you probably want Ncurses or something similar.

For actual graphics you could try SDL or SFML, or similar libraries.

Note that I'm a Windows user and havn't tried the Linux versions of any of the above, someone more experienced with the platform may be able to give you more advice on how good these libraries are on a linux machine.

- Jason Astle-Adams

id definitely say SDL is the way forward for a next step. easy to get up and running under Linux as well
http://stowelly.co.uk/
I think I'll try ncurses for now. Does anyone know how to set ncurses up on the g++ compiler? I couldn't find a way to install. I'm using Fedora Core 8.

Thanks.
Try "yum install ncurses-devel".
Thanks! Worked like a charm. BTW, it's going very well. Ncurses is definately the way to go for text output.
Since your flavor of choice is C++, I'd give SFML a shot when you get to graphics. Despite its lack of maturity as a library, it shows some definite promise and works very nicely with Linux.

It has other language bindings, too, though I can't comment on how nicely those work out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement