Home Baked Engine versus Commercial One

Started by
6 comments, last by Tegramon 16 years, 1 month ago
What do you think would be more profitable for a low budget title? Doing all the work yourself in OpenGL as I decided, or going for an authoring tool. I had my eye on 3D Game Studio, what do you think of it in terms of capabilities?
Advertisement
you could meet halfway and use a open source rendering engine like Ogre or Irrlicht, there is a lot of open source plugins / snippets to work with them easily, and a massive community if you should need help with things.

writing your own renderer / engine is a good learning experience although if you want quick results you probably wont make any decent progress in a short time frame
http://stowelly.co.uk/
OGRE Looks incredibly good. The demo's are impressive.
Wonder if I can compile it in linux though.

Yeah I can. As a renderer OGRE seems to be an excellent option. Thanks for the info.
Do you want to spend a year integrating a physics engine, a graphics engine, and other stuff, or do you want to spend money on a commercial one which you still need to learn to use? My money is on the first option, but then I am a little more patient than most. I'm currently integrating Newton GD with my game, following that I will write the AI, then I will integrate OGRE.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Do financial calculations based of expected cost of development and make the decision on how much you're willing to spend to get your game out faster. ;)

It also a question of whether you want to spend a huge deal of time developing an engine instead of a game.
Quote:Original post by speciesUnknown
Do you want to spend a year integrating a physics engine, a graphics engine, and other stuff, or do you want to spend money on a commercial one which you still need to learn to use? My money is on the first option, but then I am a little more patient than most. I'm currently integrating Newton GD with my game, following that I will write the AI, then I will integrate OGRE.

I would rather spend a year integrating a physics engine and graphics engine and other stuff rather than to spend money on a commercial one.
The first advantage is that I am learning and gathering knowledge, the second is that with the money I would spend on a commercial engine (which constrains me to use it in a certain way) I could buy some decent modeling tools or the like.

The other thing is that my "game" is of a very custom nature, it is basicly an encyclopedia with a glorified 3D rendering. It does however require a specific custom tailored net code (yeah, a multiplayer enciclopedia :)

But also, except for scripted AI I would not fashion writing the graphics engine or input engine or physics. Probably I would opt for free SDK's. Dont know ...
Quote:Original post by Stowelly
writing your own renderer / engine is a good learning experience although if you want quick results you probably wont make any decent progress in a short time frame

I'd say building and actually finishing a game is a much, much better learning experience.

Quote:Original post by Tegramon
What do you think would be more profitable for a low budget title?

Profits don't only rely on the amount of money that's spend on libraries and tools, although a proper business plan certainly would take it into account.

Quote:OGRE Looks incredibly good. The demo's are impressive.
Wonder if I can compile it in linux though.

The answer is yes.

Quote:I would rather spend a year integrating a physics engine and graphics engine and other stuff rather than to spend money on a commercial one.

I'd rather spend a few weeks to learn to use a free graphics1 and physics engine2 than spending years creating it my own mediocre alternatives.

Quote:The first advantage is that I am learning and gathering knowledge, the second is that with the money I would spend on a commercial engine (which constrains me to use it in a certain way) I could buy some decent modeling tools or the like.

Decent modeling tools3 are freely available too.

Quote:The other thing is that my "game" is of a very custom nature, it is basicly an encyclopedia with a glorified 3D rendering. It does however require a specific custom tailored net code (yeah, a multiplayer enciclopedia :)

Doesn't sound too custom to me. I would be surprised if you couldn't do it with software right out of the box. But otherwise some engines allow plugins, and some are open source, both giving you the chance to add or modify the functionality.

(not a complete list by any means, use the power of Google for more)
Excellent suggestions WanMaster. I have deicded in putting all of my focus for now on using Ogre 3D. I was impressed at what it could do. Seems a pretty capable platform. As for the tools, I only have a license for a tool I really enjoy using, L3DT Pro. I am not aiming at 4000$ Maya or the likes, but Blender is an excellent option for now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement