What is around Earth? Anyone got a map? :)

Started by
11 comments, last by XisZ 16 years, 1 month ago
I am building my game universe around Earth but not as far as the other "major" planets in our solar system. I am dividing the regions around Earth into "sectors" which includes a sector containing Earth itself and a sector containing the Moon of course. What other interesting real world objects can I build a sector around? Any nice asteroid clusters nearby etc? I will be adding some fictional objects too, like those mineral rich asteroid clusters and space stations ubiquitous in space games.
Advertisement
Cruithne
World wide telescope. But it's not available yet. :(
how about some spy satellites, debris, hiding ufo's, magnetic fields, solar storms, space station,
A whole lot of nothing until you get past mars. Then there is an asteroid belt, Which is the only place you will find stable asteroids in the solar system unless you count the rings some planets have. Space is mostly empty what can you say. That is why most space games are very unrealistic when it comes to that kind of thing.
Quote:Original post by Girsanov
Any nice asteroid clusters nearby etc?

You need to learn about the Solar System. Asteroids don't cluster. They're in a belt. And that belt lies outside the Earth/Moon system. Comets, loose asteroids, and meteors occasionally wander near, but their orbits around the sun are irregular (none of them remain within the Earth/Moon system). Just Google "solar system" and learn.
Your "Earth sectors" idea is kind of weird - the "Moon sector" would of course be a moving sector - either that, or the Moon would move from sector to sector in its orbit around Earth.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
You need to learn about the Solar System. Asteroids don't cluster. They're in a belt.

That's not actually true. There are asteroid clusters in our solar system. The most famous would be the Trojan asteroids that share orbit with Jupiter in the Sun-Jupiter L4 and L5 Lagrange points. The Hilda family of asteroids, which lie in a 2:3 resonance with Jupiter's orbit, is also significant. The New Horizons mission expects that they may find an asteroid cluster in the L5 Neptune Langrange point as it passes on its way to Pluto.
Lagrangian points are probably a good near-Earth place to put "landmarks" -- they're basically places you can put things in sort-of orbit that are pretty static relative to the orbit of the Earth around the sun /or/ of the moon around the Earth.
OK, I sit corrected as to clusters in LaGrange points. Earth's LaGrange points would still be outside the OP's original idea of Earth "sectors."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
OK, I sit corrected as to clusters in LaGrange points. Earth's LaGrange points would still be outside the OP's original idea of Earth "sectors."

Earth-Sun points are, but not Moon-Earth points. LaGarange points exist between any stable orbiting bodies. That is, one exists between them, 3 exist on the orbital path of one around the other, and 1 exists just beyond the one that orbits the central body.

I must remember to ask my prof tonight about what happens with the points if they are two equal mass and size bodies orbiting each other,... I'm assuming it can be reduced to fewer points, maybe the center point if you're good enough to place something dead center, but are there any points that actually orbit something in such a system?
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement