Sign in to follow this  
scippie

D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING

The other possibilities are D3DCREATE_MIXED_VERTEXPROCESSING and D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING. If I am using vertex 3.0 & pixel 3.0 shaders, does this mean the D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING is obligated? Or is one with mixed or even software processing still able to execute vertex and pixel shaders? I could think yes for vertex shaders, but no for pixel shaders. For clarity, I will not support a REF device, only HAL device. D.

Quote:
Original post by scippie
The other possibilities are D3DCREATE_MIXED_VERTEXPROCESSING and D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING.

If I am using vertex 3.0 & pixel 3.0 shaders, does this mean the D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING is obligated?
Nope, the vertex processing could still be done on the CPU. That's useful if you really need VS 3.0 but the hardware doesn't support it.

Quote:
Original post by scippie
Or is one with mixed or even software processing still able to execute vertex and pixel shaders? I could think yes for vertex shaders, but no for pixel shaders.
Vertex shaders can be processed on the CPU (Although it's obviously slower than doing it on the GPU), pixel shaders can't (Since that would basically be a software rasterizer).