Sign in to follow this  
_necrophilissimo_

Alternative for GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB ?

Cheers. Recently I've been banging my head against the wall in search for an alternative for GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB. Is there any OTHER way to render textures with non-power-of-two dimensions? The problem is that GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB isn't supported by most of the integrated graphics cards (i.e. Intel Graphics), resulting my pet project being incompatible on those systems. Converting the textures to power-of-two dimensions isn't an option in my case, as the additional graphics data would make the memory requirements of my game go through the roof. So, any ideas? Thanks for giving it a thought :)

I've banged my head on the same problem too... Unfortunately, unless the OpenGL implementation of the GPU driver supports GL_ARB_texture_rectangle or (better) GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two the only way is to resize your texture to POT dimensions.
However, an option could be to use texture tiling: i.e. make a single, bigger, POT texture that contains a certain number of the images you have to handle (a sort of "collage" of textures). Once you have such image you just need to adjust the texture coordinates to get only the part you are interested in.

I hope this can help.

Either use a texture atlas for your textures, or scale them down to the lower POT size. And if you are targeting such low end GFX cards the user isn't going to care about 64x64 vs. 96x96 texture size or whatever you are using.