Blender: Make faces all Clockwise/Counterclockwise

Started by
4 comments, last by dpadam450 16 years, 1 month ago
Hey guys, it's me again. I think I messed up my model today because I didn't pay too much attention to the order in which I clicked at the vertices to make a face. Is there a good way to turn them around automatically? Like if I select a whole box, can I select some menu and tell it to rotate all outter faces in a certain direction? Or can I at least see it inside of blender if I do it wrong next time? Thanks in advance BiGF00T EDIT: Oh, ok. If I set it to textured, then I can see my mistakes. Luckily there are not too many. I should easily be able to fix them. Now I only need to know whether I need to remove and add the faces again or if I could just select the face and press a magic button. EDIT2: Ok, it doesn't seem to change if I select the vertices in a different direction. Now that I think about it, it would also not make sense because I sometimes selected them without any order or rotation. So how did it happen? All I did was to make a box, subdivide it, then move some vertices or edges and then I deleted the vertices which I didn't need for the manipulation and filled the gaps with new faces. I don't want this to happen again so I should find out what my mistake was.
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Advertisement
First. If you have say a sphere, and its missing one tiny triangle, you can click the 3 dots in any order to fill the hole and it will know which way the normal goes.

Second. If you select all your vertices (Ctrl A) and hit (Ctrl N), the shortcut for recalculate normals, then based on your objects center point, it will compute the normals correctly (98% of the time).

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Thanks, I'll try that later.

Is there any way that I can ensure to have the normals pointing outwards if I click at a few vertices and then press F?
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Thanks, I'll try that later.

Is there any way that I can ensure to have the normals pointing outwards if I click at a few vertices and then press F?

Ok, I think I'll just try to have a look after I finished adding some faces and if they are not correct, then just press ctrl + n

EDIT: w00t, it worked ;)
Thanks
In the event that it makes the wrong normal, in the botton edit tab, there is a button that says "Flip Normal". Just go into "face select mode" and select all the retarded faces and click that button.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

BTW, its not Ctrl+A to select all, its just 'A'

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement