Sign in to follow this  
dzdilar

Story of once a beginner

Check out the story from once a beginner game designer and story writer. I hope you'll find it interesting read, it should be for anyone who want's to get into game designing and developement industry. http://www.computer-game-design.com

Looks like someone's posted an old book online. From the ToC and a quick skim, it seems to date back to the era of "Interactive Movies" -- i.e., it's written by someone whose credits consist almost exclusively of movie / TV writing. How this makes him an authority on game design and development escapes me, but it may explain why the book is being offered online for free: that's probably all it's worth.

FYI: *Every* industry professional was a beginner once. There is no secret magic involved. The key is education and self-improvement. Period.

Quote:
Original post by stimarcoHow this makes him an authority on game design and development escapes me, but it may explain why the book is being offered online for free: that's probably all it's worth.

The person worked on Tiberian Sun, so I think he knows more than you.

now, Stimarco's response may not have been glowing, however that's no reason to resort to ad hominum attacks.

All in all I have to agree with Stimarco though, it doesn't seem like it's a particularly great resource, and having worked on a game that was a mediocre sequal does not qualify the individual as an expert.

Considering the website is "Copyright 2008" and the most recent game it discusses is Diablo II, I think it's safe to say you aren't going to find anything new. A lot of what he talks about can be found in more recent articles on Gamasutra and other related websites.