• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mr T 87

Python - running the script or compiling it with cx_freeze or something? Performance?

This topic is 3849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering if their as any difference in performance if I run a python script by using something like 'python script.py' then if i compiled the program into an exe using py2exe or cx_freeze. I only need my script to run on a single platform on which I built it but i'm having trouble compiling it. I'm happy running it by using 'python script.py' if their is no difference in performance. Thoughts?

Advertisement
As far as I know there is no performance difference. From what I understand of what py2exe does is it copies python and your script in to a single file, so there shouldn't be any difference as far as performance goes.

'Compiling' in this case is not something that makes your program run faster. There's no need to use py2exe or anything like it unless you wish to use it to aid distribution of the program.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'm not distributing the program so i'll just run the script.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!