Just poking around... (Sidescrollers, Torque...?)

Started by
10 comments, last by jumpingrock 16 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Captain PSounds more like being a perfectionist to me, yeah. Sometimes it's a good attitude, sometimes it's really just a hindrance. I tend to focus more on the core stuff now because I've learned how treacherous perfectionism can be, but when the small details need to be polished, it's still usefull. The thing is, if I don't suppress my perfectionism, those small details will never be. ;)

Actually, I am a perfectionist. How'd you know? =P

(And, yeah, perfectionism often does get in my way. When it doesn't, though, it's really helpful.)

Quote:Might be a good idea, might not be. It can be usefull to become more familiar with the language you're working with - less graphics means less distraction - but on the other hand, a text-based game usually works in a different way than a visual game (no game-loop, blocking input handling, etc), so for game-specific things, I don't think it's too usefull.

Hmm... I don't think he actually meant a "text-system" like MUD games do. I liked the idea of using a basic model instead of making complicated ones right off the bat, but I planned on doing that anyway.

[Edited by - Mac2492 on March 5, 2008 11:00:49 PM]
Advertisement
I definitely did not mean to create a text based game such as a MUD. That would kinda defeat the purpose.

Basically what I meant is to try to separate your classes/domain model from your graphics code. So that you can start on your domain model, then work later on your graphics which may or may not be harder for you (they are harder for me).

My Architecture is like this:

1) Graphics Layer(Climbing.exe)
- This layer handles all the graphics, sounds, user input, etc
Classes:
ClimberDrawer.cs
WallDrawer.cs
SoundEffectProvider.cs
MenuScreen.cs
etc...

2) Game Layer(GameLayer.dll)
- This layer handles all the physics, character movement, etc.
Body.cs
Arm.cs
Leg.cs
Hand.cs
Foot.cs
etc...

So what I was able to do was focus on the making the arm move. There was no "game" at that point. I was testing my code using nunit (big hint, write unit tests, it'll help you develop and help you in school, I wish I had known how to write unit tests when I was in university). So a sample code would be:

class Arm {

public Arm()
{
// Set my instance variables
}

public MoveArm(Vector2 point)
{
// Do some code to move my arm
}
}

[TestFixture]
class ArmFixture()
{
[Test]
public TestMoveArm()
{
Arm theArm = new Arm();
theArm.Move(new Vector2(2,2));

Assert.AreEquals(theArm.Location, new Vector2(2,2));

}

}

That's all I meant by starting text based. What I guess I really meant is start on the engine and test it. Essentially what I am trying to get at, is start with your strengths. Don't get caught up with your weaknesses.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement