Sign in to follow this  
zbuffersucks

bw compatibility

this is only my 2nd post so this question (and even myself) may seem dumb, but it would be great if someone wants to answer=) i was wondering if it's as simple as nvidia just adding compatibility options to their drivers for older games. would the following make all older games work?: turn off all z optimizations (a lot of issues are z fighting issues due to no w-buffer,) force fp32 zbuffer depth, invert z values; force int 8 internal rendering (when 16 bit format is called for) and INT8 (32 bit RGBA) texture format (when 8 bit palletised textures for instance are called for); alternate pixel center; alternate fog type i know that ati and 3dfx just rendered 32 bit internally whenever 16 bit color was called for, so i would think that could just be taken care of by the driver like i think the depth buffer issues could. i'm terribly sorry if this sounds stupid, but i was really wondering what's possible. 16 bit color looks awful and i still like to play a lot of older games that only use 16 bit color, and i'm sure they'd need z-buffer compatibility options and a few games have a different pixel center than others, causing text to be blurred or not in the right place. i appreciate any replies. also, let me know if you need me to explain anything better, i'll be happy to=)