Sign in to follow this  
StaticWorld

Blender to Maya to 3d studio Max

Hi, i have a few questions here, thanks in advance to those who answer it First up, Is there any way i can export my blender models to Maya and 3d studio max and vice versa? I have just started on blender for 3d rendering and i have a mind to enroll into a computer science degree at my local University, the problem is i have no idea what program they are using for graphics design so if i have learnt blender to a certain degree of mastery, would it be easy for me to make the transition from blender to other 3d design programs? p.s: lets assume that i have 2 years of time to master blender due to national service for the country

They are all the same. I started with blender, and hate the 3dsmax way of doing editing for meshes. Your teacher will most likely make you use 3dsmax though. As for exporting, just use .obj, it works well.

Any time you switch programs you'll hate the new one for a bit. I went from 3ds max to Maya at university and while it drove me nuts for a month, it only took a day to figure out how to do most everything I needed.

All 3D modeling is based on the same concepts so you'll never be completely lost. It's just a matter of learning a new interface, shortcut keys, and what the tools are called in that particular program.

And yeah .obj is a good bet; everything supports it. Gotta toy around with the export settings though it likes to mess around with you.