Sign in to follow this  
Toolmaker

MSI Packages + Using VBScript to detect 64-bit

I got a weird issue with my MSI installer. We're using InstallShield Express to build our setup, and while the MSI package it generates is perfectly working, I'm having issues with detecting 32-bit / 64-bit machines. I wrote a small VBScript which checks the Windows Registry for the CPU architecture and based on the architecture, it'll remove either the 32-bit or the 64-bit executable from the installer. What I do is during initialization of the installer, I have a VBScript which does this:
On Error Resume Next

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

OsType = WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment\PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE")
Session.SetInstallLevel(0) ' Needed to re-calculate the installers requirements
Set Db = Session.Database

' Delete either the 32-bit or the 64-bit installation option, based on the current CPU Architecture
If (OsType = "x86") Then
	Set Vw = Db.OpenView("DELETE FROM `Feature` WHERE `Feature`.`Feature` = 'NewFeature4'") ' 64-bit option removed
	Call Vw.Execute
	Call Vw.Close
	Call Db.Commit

'Call MsgBox("Removed 64-bit option")
Else
	Set Vw = Db.OpenView("DELETE FROM `Feature` WHERE `Feature`.`Feature` = 'NewFeature5'") ' 32-bit option removed
	Call Vw.Execute
	Call Vw.Close
	Call Db.Commit

'Call MsgBox("Removed 32-bit option")
End if

' Let's re-calculate all install settings and make our changes propagate
Session.SetInstallLevel(0)

The script itself works fine. The 64-bit option doesn't show up when I'm running the installer. HOWEVER, after completing the installation, I see both the 32-bit and the 64-bit helper files(Which have different names), and I end up with the 64-bit EXE and DLL. In other words, it installs both executables, and the 64-bit end up being written last, thus overwriting the 32-bit files. When I rename my 64-bit files to name64.exe and name64.dll, I end up with both files. Any idea what's going on here? I appears to update the database, yet still installs both features. Toolmaker