Sign in to follow this  
Kallin

Green

As I'm sure is the same with everyone here, I have looked upon games with awe, respect, and admiration for as long as I recall. I have known ever since I laid my hands on an awkward ColecoVision control pad that I want to dedicate my life to this passion of mine. There has never been a clear route to take into that world, but I've done what I can to best prepare myself. I'm finishing an undergraduate degree in Systems and Computing Engineering, while concurrently working professionally as a software developer in the web world. I have moved from a junior student developer to a lead developer within a couple of years in a large and successful Java shop, and have honed my debugging and teamwork skills in the process. With regards to low level programming, I have worked with C and assembly in academia. Unfortunately, this does not a game developer make. My only experience working directly with games is limited to some modding work using tools like UnrealEd in combination with 3DsMax and Photoshop. I know I have the technical and interpersonal skills to shine at a game studio. The hardest part is just getting a foot in the door. I know that this is the preeminent game development forum, so I'm sure that participants here would have some good advice for me. Should I just create a game to prove that I can? If I do, what sort of platform should I use? There are a couple java frameworks (like jmoneyEngine), and I know of a few others like popcap and torque. I'm even considering doing a facebook game, as at least people might actually get to play it if I do that :P I appreciate any and all feedback. P.S. If you know of anyone looking for someone with my kind of skills, professionally or just as a hobby or whatever, I'd love to hear from them! Regards, Kal.

What is it you want to get into specifically? Making games with a company of some sort I'm assuming? I know bigger companies in canada are Ubisoft in quebec, and I believe EA (shudder) is out in BC. It sounds like you have more programming experience than i do, but depending on what you wanna do, and who you want to work for, you might want to expand out into some C++. I know blizzard for instance looks for programmers that are fairly familiar with C++ language.

I myself also like java, and I find the jMonkey Engine is quite impressive. With a personal project however, myself and another have decided to do it in C++, as it would be the best way to distribute it, and it would be fast.

On the other side, Java is great for the web as applets. Supposedly there's a memory limit of 96mb or something to that effect, so it would be mostly smaller games that would be developed as an applet.

Making games with a company is exactly what I'm looking to get into. There are some big name companies throughout Canada, though I'm also an American citizen so I could always look there for work too.

My formal education is computer engineering, so I would probably get in as a programmer of some sort. What sort of programming I'm not sure. I'm as comfortable writing assembly, interfacing directly to hardware as working in dynamic languages like groovy. C++ sits somewhere between the two I suppose. I'm sure I could contribute technically to whatever company I find myself with, but I want to make sure that my responsibilities are not limited to that domain. I'm really hoping to get actively involved in the creative/design aspects as well.

Quote:
Original post by agm_ultimatex

On the other side, Java is great for the web as applets. Supposedly there's a memory limit of 96mb or something to that effect, so it would be mostly smaller games that would be developed as an applet.

No, there isn't. Java's heap size limit can be set as high as platform supports it.