• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sync Views

operator overloading

This topic is 3934 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can't get this to work at all but I can't see anything wrong with it :(
#include <iostream>

class number
{
	int value;
	public:
	number(){value = 0;}
	~number(){}

int operator = (const number &obj)
	{
		return obj.value;
	}
	number & operator = (const int &integer)
	{
		value = integer;
		return *this;
	}
};

int main()
{
	number num = 50;  //cannot convert from 'int' to 'number'
	int integer = num;//cannot convert from 'number' to 'int'
	std::cout << integer << "\n";

system("pause");
	return 0;
}

Advertisement
Your assignments are actually assignments, they're initializations. In the first one you need a constructor argument that accepts an integer. ex:

number(int i) : value(i) {}

For the second one, you need a conversion from number to int. Ex:

operator int() { return value; }

number num = 50; //cannot convert from 'int' to 'number'

This does not mean "make a number called 'num', and then assign 50 to it with the assignment operator". It means "make a number called 'num', passing 50 to a constructor which accepts one argument". It is exactly equivalent to "number num(50);". This is a special case: writing the '=' on the same line that you declare the variable asks for an initialization, not an assignment. These are different things.

Meanwhile, you cannot define the operation "assign an int from a user-defined class". That operator would have to belong to the int class, but int isn't a class, and even if it were, you wouldn't be able to modify it. Instead, you define the operation "interpret myself as an int". This is done like - well, like SiCrane said.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!