Getting into the game industry for a business developer

Started by
16 comments, last by chipmeisterc 16 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
Quote:Original post by jumpingrock
Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
Or to just use my demo to try and land a job with one of the local companies here.

You have one demo? How about making another one? Sounds to me like you don't have enough practice at making games yet.

I'm going with the DIY method for this idea.

Oh. Then you've decided not to "try and land a job."

Well, I want to try to land a job, using the game that I've built as a demo to get into the door.
Advertisement
Well, I want to try to land a job, using the game that I've built as a demo to get into the door.

Okay... and I said one demo isn't enough. "Sounds to me like you don't have enough practice at making games yet." And I suggested you might need to make another one, in order to land that job. (Apologies to all for repeating myself. Just not sure you heard it the first time.)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Alright. That I can accept. What about the Artificial Intelligence Masters. Is it worth it?
Alright. That I can accept. What about the Artificial Intelligence Masters. Is it worth it?

Worth is subjective. IOW, "it depends." Only YOU can determine if it's worth it to YOU. If you want to go for it, go for it. If it's too much cost or trouble, don't do it.
In MY "humble" [cough] opinion, you should create a 2nd demo, maybe a 3rd. Get more practice making games.
Read this: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson41.htm (and check out the links at the bottom too).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I have noticed, that most of you are saying that you need to learn c++ in order to get anywhere, but, it has come to my attention, as i have been searching Google, that C# is becoming more and more used for creating XBox 360 games, considering it supports XNA, so, by the time you learn C#, i am sure that the industry would give equal opportunities to both languages. In my suggestion, continue writing your demo until it is a full blown game, then i would apply. Keep in mind i am still a beginner, and you should do what is best for you, but i would continue learning C# with XNA.
Quote:Original post by themagicalrock
I have noticed, that most of you are saying that you need to learn c++ in order to get anywhere, but, it has come to my attention, as i have been searching Google, that C# is becoming more and more used for creating XBox 360 games, considering it supports XNA, so, by the time you learn C#, i am sure that the industry would give equal opportunities to both languages. In my suggestion, continue writing your demo until it is a full blown game, then i would apply. Keep in mind i am still a beginner, and you should do what is best for you, but i would continue learning C# with XNA.

Professional developers don't use XNA because right now it doesn't offer full access to all the 360's hardware (I think this is still true).

More importantly, most of our current code is in C++ so to start an XNA project would add 1-2 years to the development cycle. This is because by sticking with C++ we can use the same engine we just released a tile with as our starting point.

That said, there is always a benefit to learning more languages so don't take this as a "know C++ above all else" argument. Just know C++ and then also know lots of other languages. Another way to put it would be: knowing C# could probably help you in the future, knowing C++ will definitely help you in the present to get a job.

-me
Quote:Original post by Palidine
Quote:Original post by themagicalrock

Professional developers don't use XNA because right now it doesn't offer full access to all the 360's hardware (I think this is still true).

More importantly, most of our current code is in C++ so to start an XNA project would add 1-2 years to the development cycle. This is because by sticking with C++ we can use the same engine we just released a tile with as our starting point.

That said, there is always a benefit to learning more languages so don't take this as a "know C++ above all else" argument. Just know C++ and then also know lots of other languages. Another way to put it would be: knowing C# could probably help you in the future, knowing C++ will definitely help you in the present to get a job.

-me

one more suggestion, i think that learning python might also be a good choice, considering it is very easy, and can be used.
I think the best advice is to just actually start applying for jobs and see what happens, once you become more familiar with the interview process you will be able to flesh out whatever it is you need to get your foot in the door.

I was in a similar position to you a few years back, Id just graduated but I had no portfolio, my university offered me a place to do a Masters degree which I was considering or my other option was getting an industry related job such as a tester whilst working in my spare time to build up a decent portfolio.

Luckily I decided to start sending my CV around anyway and managed to get a job as a scripter, pretty basic but my foot was in the door, 6 months later I was given a full time contract as a gameplay programmer.

Basically you will never know whats available or what you can achieve if you dont start sending of your CV and landing some interviews. I was pretty lucky, but then id like to think I made alot of that luck by being proactive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement