Sign in to follow this  

A little help needed

This topic is 3567 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How much time and what would the costs associated with putting a browser game the likes of a Travian be? I really dont know anything about it and was curious what it takes to build browser games. Thanks! Specifically how many hours would it take to write the code and do all the programing (how much would those hours cost) How much would it cost to upkeep, including server costs. how much do you think it takes to market a new game.

That is, from what I can tell, a pretty common question on these forums.

Might want to read this thread: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=99561

I'm not sure of the complexity of Travian, but you could post on the Travia forums to get an answer to those specific questions.

If you're motivated enough, making an MMORPG by yourself is possible, but, regardless of how much experience and manpower you have, an MMORPG will be an absolutely epic project. This is not to say that making games is futile, but I would definitely not recommend anything multiplayer as a starter.

How many hours would it take to make a building. Something like those with 4 walls and a roof. For some number of people to live in. And how much would heating costs be?

Quote:
Specifically how many hours would it take to write the code and do all the programing (how much would those hours cost)

If you put it like that, then it will cost you $20 billion to hire a single developer. Unless you can evaluate down to every cent how much each hour will be worth, you'll be unable to attract anyone, or those that you will attract will be ripping you off big time. Hint: programming is usually the smaller, and more mechanical part - content is the game killer.

Quote:
I really dont know anything about it and was curious what it takes to build browser games.

Same as everything else. Dedication, passion, professionalism, expertise, business sense, and thousand more things.

Quote:
thanks for the link, anything more recent anyone can help with

The mythical man month gives a good overview of what all is involved in software development. It's from 1975 (no, 2002 isn't dated), but it gives a very realistic and pragmatic view of certain issues involved in development of a product, or even management of a service.

Rough figures:
- Development: $1-$30 per hour. Quality of delivered work isn't necessarily related to payment.
- Hosting: $300-$10,000 per month (several thousand usually)
- Development time: 1 - 5 years for experienced people, plus several years of content improvement to keep growth period long enough to break even.

This topic is 3567 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.