Sign in to follow this  
JPSerna

Finding vertices from D3DXIntersect

Okay, so, I'm making a level editor that requires me to place spawn points on a mesh. The targeting code and all that works, but I keep getting REALLY bad values for the point's location. Intersect is checking for hits, and then I get the face index. I'm wondering how I can use that to get the triangle's coordinates. This is what the code looks like now: IDirect3DVertexBuffer9 *pBuffer; pMesh->GetVertexBuffer(&pBuffer); DWORD dwNumBytesPerVertex = pMesh->GetNumBytesPerVertex(); unsigned char *ucBuffer = new unsigned char[3 * dwNumBytesPerVertex]; pBuffer->Lock(dwFaceIndex * 3 * dwNumBytesPerVertex, 3 * dwNumBytesPerVertex, (void **)&ucBuffer, D3DLOCK_READONLY); From there, I've tried to read the data from the buffer into D3DXVECTOR3/float[3] arrays to no avail. Any help?

It depends on how your mesh vertices and indices are setup.

Assuming you're using an indexed mesh which does not use 3 unique vertices per face, you're using the face index to access the vertex data, rather than to retrieve the indices for the vertices you want.

Here's a routine from one of my apps.

v1, v2, v3 are 3 structures (not float[3]!) in this case.

struct TERRAINVERTEX {
D3DXVECTOR3 v, n;
D3DXVECTOR2 t;
};

TERRAINVERTEX v1, v2, v3;
TERRAINVERTEX *pVertex;
WORD *idxBuffer;
WORD iv1, iv2, iv3;

pTerrainMesh[i]->LockIndexBuffer(D3DLOCK_READONLY | D3DLOCK_NOOVERWRITE,(LPVOID*)&idxBuffer);
if( hr != D3D_OK ) { hit = FALSE; goto bad_return; }
iv1 = *(WORD*)(idxBuffer + faceIndex*3 + 0);
iv2 = *(WORD*)(idxBuffer + faceIndex*3 + 1);
iv3 = *(WORD*)(idxBuffer + faceIndex*3 + 2);
pTerrainMesh[i]->UnlockIndexBuffer();
hr = pTerrainMesh[i]->LockVertexBuffer(D3DLOCK_READONLY | D3DLOCK_NOOVERWRITE, (PVOID*)&pVertex);
if( FAILED(hr) ) goto bad_return;
v1 = pVertex[iv1];
v2 = pVertex[iv2];
v3 = pVertex[iv3];
pTerrainMesh[i]->UnlockVertexBuffer();