Sign in to follow this  
Red_Eye

Need Help With University Assignment Please.

Hey guys, this is my first thread here so apologies if anything is out of place. I need a simple question answering, one that I can't seem to find the answer to from looking at the internet. So I turn to you guys. I'd very much appreciate if anyone could answer my question or point to anywhere online where I can find further information. My University assignment requires me to make a character model of myself to be imported into the Half-Life 2 engine using 3ds Max 8. In order to do this, I need to know what the average polygon count of a Counter Strike character model? Many Thanks in advanced.

I'd aim for 2-3k. You can go higher than that if you want, like up to 5k. But that might be a bit too time consuming, assuming you have a deadline.

I would say a full body CS model would have around 2-5k polys minimum. For the high end I have found models used in the game through google that run 17k polys. So I would say that would be the high end.

{NOTE} In the future try to make your topic title more discriptive. On GDNet some people won't even open the thread if it even mentions the word Assignment in it.

You may want to check out StudioCompiler: it's a sort of swiss knife for Source model compiling. It can decompile existing models, too, which can be usefull if you want to use existing models for reference purposes. These models are normally stored in .gcf files, but can be extracted with tools like GCFScape.