Some ideas for me

Started by
6 comments, last by biggjoee5790 16 years, 1 month ago
Hey guys I really want to improve my python skills so I can begin doing what I really want to be doin, programming games. Im looking for some cool ideas for programs that I can create in order to practice my skills. I havent learnt anny OOP in Python yet.. but I do know almost all other console based ideas. I covered functions, file IO, Exceptions (try, except), most built in objects (lists, tuples, dictionaries), statements (if, elif, else, for, while, etc). I am still learning but I wanna get a firm grasp of creating all sorts of programs before I begin learning about classes and objects because I know its gonna confuse me at first. So can you guys help me out and tell me what the best way to practice is? im tired of just reading through my books :)
Advertisement
You are a cat, and you are chasing a mouse. You are also being chased by a dog. Its top down. Try doing this using Pygame.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
sorry i probrobly wasnt clear.. I havent learned any pyagme yet. I am still creating console based apps. I want to get good at programming in the console without OOP, then move onto OOP, then when Im really confident in the console Im gonna start learning how to make GUIs and Pygame. Right now I want some ideas of how I can practice stuff using the console only.. no GUIs and no graphics.
Number and word games are good. Make number guessing games, hangman games, etc. This won't get you too far, those games can be implemented with a minimum of language features. Move on to simple RPG simulators. Make a character class with some statistics, a collection of them for a party, make a monster class and a combat system. Make an interactive fiction game (like Zork or Adventure) with places to explore, items to pick up and puzzles to solve. There are a lot of possibilities here, just pick something and write it. If this is just a learning project, it doesn't really matter what it is.

Once you feel relatively comfortable with making these programs, jump right into pygame. The pygame aspect of a game is just a small part.
C# workshop had an interesting maze generating program
Oluseyi already gave you a pretty good list on your previous thread.
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
Oluseyi already gave you a pretty good list on your previous thread.

oo man sorry about that.. I knew I made a post about this but I couldnt find it. I apoligize guys, You can delete it if youd like. Thanks for the suggestions by the way. Im gonna try some of that stuff. The text based RPG actually sounds really cool. Im sure it would be easier to create with classes and OOP but I guess I could do it without OOP, and then when I learn it I can refine the game and redo certain parts with classes and objects.

Quote:Original post by UziMonkey
Number and word games are good. Make number guessing games, hangman games, etc. This won't get you too far, those games can be implemented with a minimum of language features. Move on to simple RPG simulators. Make a character class with some statistics, a collection of them for a party, make a monster class and a combat system. Make an interactive fiction game (like Zork or Adventure) with places to explore, items to pick up and puzzles to solve. There are a lot of possibilities here, just pick something and write it. If this is just a learning project, it doesn't really matter what it is.

Once you feel relatively comfortable with making these programs, jump right into pygame. The pygame aspect of a game is just a small part.

Hey man do you think you can help me out with making the program you recommended? I wanna make the hero and monster classes, combat system, an inventory, etc. Do i need to use OOP too achieve this? I havent really learned much about classes and objects yet but Ill learn it now if its necessary to be able to do this. Can you just gimme some tips on how to represent all these diffrent things? Like should I create functions that make a character and lists to represent some sort of inventory. Id also like to create a pool of stat points that can be spent on attributes, but also have certain classes start off with specific stats.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement