RGB Wars - Crappy Little Networked Game

Started by
6 comments, last by 5MinuteGaming 16 years, 1 month ago
It's more of a prototype than anything else. I'm using it as just a throw-away prototype for the Networking Design. It works to a point and needs major refactoring but I would like to do some performance and general stability testing of the code. So, please feel free to grab a few people and try out the game. The more the merrier. The basic idea is simple and corny but hey it could be fun. The idea is to get the highest score before the game ends. I don't currently have a counter but that can easily be added. To score points you select a color from the drop down list. Your score is based on how many other people have the same color as you whenever you choose your color. The formula for your score is 10 * (blocks with the same color). Each block is currently another player. There are a limited number of colors, they should really scale depending on how many people are online. Feedback and criticisms are welcome! Issues wanted! Heres a link to the game (it requires Java 5 runtime, minimum) Game Time: 15 minutes Wait Time: 2 minutes between games RGB Wars v0.0.0 (taken down for now, might be back later) Double click on jar file to run. Any problems make a post. [Edited by - 5MinuteGaming on March 6, 2008 11:39:01 AM]
Advertisement
omg racism!?!!
ahhhhh crap I didn't even realize that....

sorry all
I was just kidding, mate. You might want to change the title to avoid the association, but it certainly isn't offensive. Spectrum War? Rainbow War? Or would that be reserved for some kind of conflict between homosexuals?

Anyway, I don't want to derail your thread here, which should focus on your actual game. I can't play it right now though because I'm at work.
Thanks! I knew you were joking about that but your right I don't want to offend anyone.

I'm adding some AI players so that I can test out what happens with a large number of connections. Checking for those elusive race conditions and concurrent modification exceptions, hehe.
Quote:Original post by 5MinuteGaming
Checking for those elusive race conditions and concurrent modification exceptions, hehe.

Racism, again?

Either way, shouldn't your system be designed in such a way to prevent the existence of such errors?
Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
Quote:Original post by 5MinuteGaming
Checking for those elusive race conditions and concurrent modification exceptions, hehe.

Racism, again?

Either way, shouldn't your system be designed in such a way to prevent the existence of such errors?

Damn, there I go again. Yes theoretically the system should not throw any concurrent modification exceptions but there are those fluke moments.

I am using synchronized blocks and making copies of ArrayLists to avoid such problems but you never really know till ya test it. :P

P.S. As for the Designing part you can't really eliminate the need to check for overridden shared data between threads. I guess you might be able to with a carefully designed single threaded app.
Alright I shut it down and am going to do some major refactoring of the code.

I'll post when and if I put it back up.

So long and thanks for all the posts.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement