Sign in to follow this  
TPPROG

Game Programming

Hey guys, We currently got given a project to do to create a game demo. Since I am the only programmer in my group, I have no clue where to start. We decided to create a 2D side scrolling beat em up game(similar to streets of rage) and to implement it using a 3D level design using 3DSMAX and 2D character designs. My knowledge of C++ and OpenGL is very limited, since I have only been taught these for 4 months now. What I am asking is any advice or guidance on where to start? Tips on programming? and anything else that is relevant. Appreciate the help. TP

Well, I don't know if it helps...

But start at the backdrop import... you know, loading the map. If it's a 3ds file or some thing of that nature, you are going to need to get that going in perfect harmony. The display of it is part of this.

I'd probobly tackle a camera type class next... make sure you can pan across the scenery with some kind of consistency... later on, you can just focus the camera on the main character or some such thing.

Next, Go for the physics... find where all of the floors are(normals pointing mostly up) and make them solid, no characters falling through... Next find where the walls are(normals pointing mostly horizontal)... and make sure that nothing can pass through them.

I did this... and tested the boundries of the map with an easy make bouncy ball that could be moved via the keyboard... but still be confined in the map space.

Once you have the map things in place... then you go after doing character stuffs. But this should keep you busy for a while.

... it might not help ... but that's where I started.