Python Capabilities

Started by
15 comments, last by ExtraNoise 16 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by ExtraNoise
GIF files are patented for non-commercial use? I had no idea, that's really incredible.
It's also not true, at least any more. The last GIF patent expired a couple of years ago.

Quote:There is an animated version of the PNG format (its name escapes me at the moment, it's not widely used - ANG or something?). It does allow for an alpha channel, though, which would be great for anti-aliasing. Any thoughts?
MNG. PNG and MNG aren't widely used in video games, to my knowledge (with the notable exception of J2ME). MNG isn't widely used period (very low tools support), and PNG can be rather onerous to parse and doesn't include support for common texture compression formats. It's fine as a pipeline format, but tends to be boiled down into a proprietary format during the binary build.
Advertisement
There's also APNG now, in addition to MNG.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
I know an MMO is a fairly large-scale project. Is this something Python can handle?

Yes.

EVE was done with Python 8D

Im an eve player and seeing how that plays makes me even more determined to get on with it. (Learning Python that is)

Brian.
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
(GIF has patent issues, though, which can be a problem if you want to go commercial.)

Didn't the GIF patent expire like over a year ago?
And could you explain paperdolling?

Wikipedia stub.

Quote:Is there a layman's way to explain how the code processes each layer?

You draw the most underneath layer of skin/clothing/whatever first, and then build your way up to the front. Each successive drawing appears "on top of" the other layers as a result. Aka the painter's algorithm (much longer Wikipedia article), but applied to 2D, where there aren't any complicating factors (except alpha, if you use it).

As for patents, it should be noted that I have a habit of being behind the times when it comes to that kind of stuff. IANAL after all :)
I'm still pretty new to programming, with only experience in web development

For now you should really just stop thinking about sprites, models, animation, clothing, blue/red shirts, file formats and building 3D engines.

STOP. Learn how to program first.

Your first games won't have anything to do with the stuff you have discussed so far in this thread. It does not matter if Python is capable of creating your MMO or not (although it's nice to hear it is), because at some point in the in the future where you have gained enough knowledge to write an MMO, you will probably have already learned several other languages besides Python anyway.
Quote:Original post by DevFred
I'm still pretty new to programming, with only experience in web development

For now you should really just stop thinking about sprites, models, animation, clothing, blue/red shirts, file formats and building 3D engines.

STOP. Learn how to program first.

Your first games won't have anything to do with the stuff you have discussed so far in this thread. It does not matter if Python is capable of creating your MMO or not (although it's nice to hear it is), because at some point in the in the future where you have gained enough knowledge to write an MMO, you will probably have already learned several other languages besides Python anyway.

Well, I should say that I am learning how to program in Python and doing pretty well so far - so it's not a complete wash. :) Having a long-term goal really helps for me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement