Sign in to follow this  
vurentjie

sdl_set video mode & opengl

hi just a query, i am working with sdl mainly to run an opengl screen, what i want to find out is how much do the initial surface settings affect the opengl screen......to be more precise, mywin = SDL_SetVideoMode(500, 500, 0, SDL_OPENGL |SDL_SWSURFACE); if i had to use the above code to call/pass a surface, besides the compulsory SDL_OPENGL to use glfunctions, how much do the other settings affect the gl_window, i am more interested in the use of SDL_SWSURFACE , SDL_HWSURFACE ,for setting where to store memory, i am presuming in different circumstances and architectures one or the other is faster, but would these have any affect once opengl takes over? i am asking merely out of curiosity, since i know that even if there is no sdl double buffer call, once opengl takes over it can have a double buffer depth regardless,....can anyone enlighten me?

If you want to create an OpenGL rendering context, the only flag you use is SDL_OPENGL (and optionally SDL_FULLSCREEN if you want a fullscreen window). If you want to control various aspects of your OpenGL window, use SDL_GL_SetAttribute(). For example:

SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER, 1 );

would enable double buffering. You should do all of your SDL_GL_SetAttribute calls before you call SDL_SetVideoMode. Whether or not you get hardware acceleration depends, as you suspected, on your hardware and your video card driver. The flags SDL_SWSURFACE, SDL_HWSURFACE, etc have no use when you set SDL_OPENGL.