Photoshop help please

Started by
8 comments, last by Gyrthok 16 years, 1 month ago
Hey guys.. Ive lately really gotten back into my art and I have decided to really learn photoshop. I have CS3 and Im looking for some good beginner tutorials. Im gonna invest in a tablet within the week so I can really do some nice stuff. Im simultaneously learning Python so Im trying to divide my time into both, if thats possible. I wanted to do some 3d with blender but im gonna hold off on that for a while. The first real game im hoping to create is a diablo style rpg, and im pretty sure it uses 2d sprites for all its art. Even though it seems 3d. So can anyone recommend some good learning material [Edited by - biggjoee5790 on March 6, 2008 6:32:02 PM]
Advertisement
Adobe has video tutorials on their website.

There's also lots of helpful stuff built in.

[EDIT]I'm not sure about the original Diablo, but for Diablo II blizzard did all the art-work as 3D models in 3DS Max, which they then rendered using an isometric camera, and then cut-out the renderings into tiles (sprites) with Photoshop. They then gave the tile-sets to their programmers who would write code to stitch them into random levels.
hmm thats wierd i read somewhere that the entire game was done in 2d but made to look 3d. If the models are all 3d, why would they need to be sprites? couldnt they just be animated? So is it possible to replicate diablo 2 type art in 2d?
oo and thanks for the links
Keep in mind the system requirements for Diablo 2 were a Pentium 233 and 32 MB RAM. Rendering 3D models with that amount of processing power leaves a little to be desired; you're not going to get high polygon counts.
It's called pre-rendering. You take a still image (or a series of still images for an animation), which is called a render, of a 3D model. Then you output that onto the screen instead of rendering the model in real-time.

The model itself might be 10,000 polygons, but with pre-rendering, you can get away with a single quad--in other words, 4 polygons.
Quote:Original post by biggjoee5790
If the models are all 3d, why would they need to be sprites? couldnt they just be animated?

The final art that is in the game is all 2D. As OremLK said, they pre-rendered all of their 3D models into 2D sprites - so no 3D models actually ship with the game.

At the time, most people either didn't have 3D graphics cards, or had really slow 3D cards. By rendering everything as 2D sprites they could get a lot more detail in the world on the average PC of the time.

Quote:So is it possible to replicate diablo 2 type art in 2d?

Yes, certainly!
They only used 3DS max for their art because they found it easier than drawing pixel-art. But they could have just as easily drawn everything by hand.
Single quad != 4 polygons!

quadrilateral = 1 polygon = 2 triangles

PS: I know you just mispoke
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
If the models are all 3d, why would they need to be sprites? couldnt they just be animated?

The final art that is in the game is all 2D. As OremLK said, they pre-rendered all of their 3D models into 2D sprites - so no 3D models actually ship with the game.

At the time, most people either didn't have 3D graphics cards, or had really slow 3D cards. By rendering everything as 2D sprites they could get a lot more detail in the world on the average PC of the time.

Quote:So is it possible to replicate diablo 2 type art in 2d?

Yes, certainly!
They only used 3DS max for their art because they found it easier than drawing pixel-art. But they could have just as easily drawn everything by hand.

awesome.. so would you say that photoshop CS3 is sufficient to do all kinds of art, especially for video games? Im not a great artist but im decent.. and with practice im sure i can get better. I find my digital art to be alot better than my hardcopy with pencil. I guess thats because all the mods you can apply with photoshop. SO if I created a 2d character for a game, how could i make it appear 3d as in diablo or any other game that uses the technique?
awesome.. so would you say that photoshop CS3 is sufficient to do all kinds of art, especially for video games? Im not a great artist but im decent.. and with practice im sure i can get better. I find my digital art to be alot better than my hardcopy with pencil. I guess thats because all the mods you can apply with photoshop. SO if I created a 2d character for a game, how could i make it appear 3d as in diablo or any other game that uses the technique?

PS CS3, as a no-animation image-editing-program, it lacks no feature. So if there's something it can not do, then you can be pretty convinced there is no other app which can do it. Some special things are easier in some other programs, like making the tools behave like traditional media in Painter, but at the level you say you are now that should not bother you.

As for question 2.... Well let's be realistic... you can't draw sprites which appear 3D without at least some help from a 3D-renderer. You have to have images of it from lots of different angles. Generally you would do the whole thing in 3D. It really is the simplest way to do it, because nobody has the patience to draw so many angles of the same thing over and over. And what if, when you're done, you want to change something? Then you have to manually add it to 100+ images.....

If you don't want to do it all in 3D, then at least render a stick-figure in 3D... animated... and then flesh it out, frame by frame, in Photoshop. If this is realistically possible pretty much depends on the complexity of your art. Do you want to make as pretty things as in Diablo 2? Well then quite frankly you're screwed without 3D. Diablo 2 artwork and models are really high end.

And about learning Photoshop - a tablet is excellent! I suggest you try to find people who have recorded their screen while working. That was a very good learning tool for me. There's some on youtube, but the best ones are on artists own websites.
----------------------~NQ - semi-pro graphical artist and hobbyist programmer
Quote:SO if I created a 2d character for a game, how could i make it appear 3d as in diablo or any other game that uses the technique?

Generally by applying artistic techniques like Shading, Lighting, Perspectives, etc. A good pixel artist can create 2D images of comparable quality just as easily as a 3D artist can, it more depends on the particular style and medium your going for. You can find some good 2D tutorials at Pixeljoint or DeviantArt, there's also some 2D/3D tutorials around here on gamedev, just check the Tutorials & Downloads sticky in the Visual Arts forum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement