Sign in to follow this  
DA NATIVE

Where to start??

I want to try an learn how to create a data recorder for a game.(racing game) This program or addon, whatever you call it. Would record fastest lap times, 5, 10, 20 lap race times, check for hacked power curve setting, and a few other things. All the recorder data would then be sent to a web site for viewing stats. I guess I would like to be pointed in the right direction. Any Help Will be Greatly Appercaited Dustin AKA NATIVE

Unless the game you want to add this to has explicitly built in support for a project like yours to exist, then you're going to find it very difficult. If the program is designed to make that data available in a well-defined way then all you need to do is hook into that, but if not then you're going to have to reverse-engineer the game to figure out how and where to insert your recorder code, and that's really hard.

Also, if you're planning on using this addon to detect when players have hacked their game to cheat, give up now. They'll just hack your addon as well.

thanks alot superpig i've been looking for help for a long time. this info is better than nothing, i appercaited it lot.

how would I find out where time is stored in the game?
how do i find out want game engine is being used?

This is program i would even willing to pay someone to help me.
someone told me that if game goes threw gamespy its is possible to make the program.

Quote:
Original post by DA NATIVE
how would I find out where time is stored in the game?
how do i find out want game engine is being used?

Well first off, you could tell us which game it is - that would help immensely.

I take it from this that it is not your game, and it does not have a plugin architecture for this sort of addon - both of which together mean that this will be a pretty tough task to accomplish. You are either going to have to figure out where the scores are located in memory (which if in a dynamically allocated class is going to be pretty much impossible), or find out where it is in the save-game files (which is a lot simpler), if the game saves this information.

Quote:
Sorry, the game is MX vs ATV Unleashed (PC)
and yes MVA saves profiles and stats

thanks for your help also swiftcoder

Play the game a bunch of times, copying the stats file to some directory each time, and recording the scores in a textfile. Then open all the copies side-by-side in a hex-editor, and try to find the offset of your score in the file.

If you can't find the scores at all like this, it probably isn't worth the effort to track them down.

If you're lucky, it'll be the same format as Quake used, in which case programs like Pak Explorer will help you.

However, the extension on a file does not necessarily mean anything about the format of the file. They might be using their own completely-custom format and just calling it 'PAK'.

there is two files that get saved with profile saved and header dat files.

OK GOT SOME SCREEN SHOTS OF WHAT THE DAT FILES LOOK LIKE:
http://legit-designz.com/images/saved1.jpg
http://legit-designz.com/images/header1.jpg

Quote:
bump

is there a program to debugg stuff like this?

Those files look very specialized to the game. If they are really just *.dat files, then it can contain anything in almost any format or structure.

You will be needing to find out the file formats that the files use in order to extract useful information from it. Once you get that, it becomes much easier.

If you cannot find the file structure, following swiftcoder's suggestion would be your best bet here. Lets just hope its not compressed or in anyway encrypted as that will make things much harder.

---

To answer your above question, a debugger would not be of any help here as we are working with a data file, not a program file. There simply is no easy way to accomplish what you are trying to do.

(Also, is this even legal? It doesnt seem so to me as it probably violates the eula )

Quote:
Original post by Crypter
Quote:
bump

is there a program to debugg stuff like this?

Those files look very specialized to the game. If they are really just *.dat files, then it can contain anything in almost any format or structure.

You will be needing to find out the file formats that the files use in order to extract useful information from it. Once you get that, it becomes much easier.

If you cannot find the file structure, following swiftcoder's suggestion would be your best bet here. Lets just hope its not compressed or in anyway encrypted as that will make things much harder.

---

To answer your above question, a debugger would not be of any help here as we are working with a data file, not a program file. There simply is no easy way to accomplish what you are trying to do.

(Also, is this even legal? It doesnt seem so to me as it probably violates the eula )

the program has been made before but the guy cant pay or maintain expenses. and he dose not want to sell out. ive emailed him on some info on how he did it but no reply back.

It must be fine with rainbow studios(RS), with a addon like this. One of the employees for RS comes on the community forums and has never said nothing about the recorder.

But it's not entirely clear what you are asking of us. We don't have information about the format being used, so your next source of information results from pleading with the guys who made the game or the one who made the previously similar addon.

Quote:
I got the codes now, how do i record those stats?

Can you please rephrase this question? I am not sure what you are asking...

I want to try an learn how to create a data recorder for a game.(racing game)
This program or addon, whatever you call it. Would record fastest lap times, 5, 10, 20 lap race times, check for hacked power curve setting, and a few other things. All the recorder data would then be sent to a web site for viewing stats.

Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant. I understand what you are trying to do, however what do you mean by "codes" here:
Quote:
I got the codes now, how do i record those stats?

Do you have the format of the file? How did you receive this information (the "codes")?