Where to start??

Started by
16 comments, last by Crypter 16 years ago
bump

is there a program to debugg stuff like this?
I'm trying to make a data recorder for MX vs ATV Unleashed (p)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by DA NATIVE
bump

Those files look very specialized to the game. If they are really just *.dat files, then it can contain anything in almost any format or structure.

You will be needing to find out the file formats that the files use in order to extract useful information from it. Once you get that, it becomes much easier.

If you cannot find the file structure, following swiftcoder's suggestion would be your best bet here. Lets just hope its not compressed or in anyway encrypted as that will make things much harder.

---

To answer your above question, a debugger would not be of any help here as we are working with a data file, not a program file. There simply is no easy way to accomplish what you are trying to do.

(Also, is this even legal? It doesnt seem so to me as it probably violates the eula )
Quote:Original post by Crypter
bump

Those files look very specialized to the game. If they are really just *.dat files, then it can contain anything in almost any format or structure.

You will be needing to find out the file formats that the files use in order to extract useful information from it. Once you get that, it becomes much easier.

If you cannot find the file structure, following swiftcoder's suggestion would be your best bet here. Lets just hope its not compressed or in anyway encrypted as that will make things much harder.

---

To answer your above question, a debugger would not be of any help here as we are working with a data file, not a program file. There simply is no easy way to accomplish what you are trying to do.

(Also, is this even legal? It doesnt seem so to me as it probably violates the eula )

the program has been made before but the guy cant pay or maintain expenses. and he dose not want to sell out. ive emailed him on some info on how he did it but no reply back.

It must be fine with rainbow studios(RS), with a addon like this. One of the employees for RS comes on the community forums and has never said nothing about the recorder.
But it's not entirely clear what you are asking of us. We don't have information about the format being used, so your next source of information results from pleading with the guys who made the game or the one who made the previously similar addon.
I got the codes now, how do i record those stats?

Can you please rephrase this question? I am not sure what you are asking...
I want to try an learn how to create a data recorder for a game.(racing game)
This program or addon, whatever you call it. Would record fastest lap times, 5, 10, 20 lap race times, check for hacked power curve setting, and a few other things. All the recorder data would then be sent to a web site for viewing stats.
Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant. I understand what you are trying to do, however what do you mean by "codes" here:

Do you have the format of the file? How did you receive this information (the "codes")?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement