Where to start??

Started by
16 comments, last by Crypter 16 years ago
I want to try an learn how to create a data recorder for a game.(racing game) This program or addon, whatever you call it. Would record fastest lap times, 5, 10, 20 lap race times, check for hacked power curve setting, and a few other things. All the recorder data would then be sent to a web site for viewing stats. I guess I would like to be pointed in the right direction. Any Help Will be Greatly Appercaited Dustin AKA NATIVE
I'm trying to make a data recorder for MX vs ATV Unleashed (p)
Advertisement
Unless the game you want to add this to has explicitly built in support for a project like yours to exist, then you're going to find it very difficult. If the program is designed to make that data available in a well-defined way then all you need to do is hook into that, but if not then you're going to have to reverse-engineer the game to figure out how and where to insert your recorder code, and that's really hard.

Also, if you're planning on using this addon to detect when players have hacked their game to cheat, give up now. They'll just hack your addon as well.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

thanks alot superpig i've been looking for help for a long time. this info is better than nothing, i appercaited it lot.

how would I find out where time is stored in the game?
how do i find out want game engine is being used?

This is program i would even willing to pay someone to help me.
someone told me that if game goes threw gamespy its is possible to make the program.
Quote:Original post by DA NATIVE
how would I find out where time is stored in the game?
how do i find out want game engine is being used?

Well first off, you could tell us which game it is - that would help immensely.

I take it from this that it is not your game, and it does not have a plugin architecture for this sort of addon - both of which together mean that this will be a pretty tough task to accomplish. You are either going to have to figure out where the scores are located in memory (which if in a dynamically allocated class is going to be pretty much impossible), or find out where it is in the save-game files (which is a lot simpler), if the game saves this information.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Sorry, the game is MX vs ATV Unleashed (PC)
and yes MVA saves profiles and stats

thanks for your help also swiftcoder
Quote:Original post by DA NATIVE
Sorry, the game is MX vs ATV Unleashed (PC)
and yes MVA saves profiles and stats

thanks for your help also swiftcoder

Play the game a bunch of times, copying the stats file to some directory each time, and recording the scores in a textfile. Then open all the copies side-by-side in a hex-editor, and try to find the offset of your score in the file.

If you can't find the scores at all like this, it probably isn't worth the effort to track them down.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

OK now how do I open PAK files?
If you're lucky, it'll be the same format as Quake used, in which case programs like Pak Explorer will help you.

However, the extension on a file does not necessarily mean anything about the format of the file. They might be using their own completely-custom format and just calling it 'PAK'.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

ok i found a program (multiex commander) that opens paks but i have to wait for the registration code
there is two files that get saved with profile saved and header dat files.

OK GOT SOME SCREEN SHOTS OF WHAT THE DAT FILES LOOK LIKE:
http://legit-designz.com/images/saved1.jpg
http://legit-designz.com/images/header1.jpg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement