MPEG decoder library for PocketPC

Started by
1 comment, last by Nacho 16 years, 1 month ago
Hi! I'm working on a simulation game for PocketPC and I need to show some movies in certain parts of the game. I've been looking for MPEG decoding libraries and, so far, I've found two but both of them are GPL licensed and, since I'm planning to release my game comercially, I need to look for some other alternative. My first impulse was to write an MPEG decoder myself (which is an area I have no experience at all), but I was wondering if you guys can suggest me another option. Thanks in advance for all your help, --Nacho
Advertisement
Quote:My first impulse was to write an MPEG decoder myself (which is an area I have no experience at all), but I was wondering if you guys can suggest me another option.

Definately crazy. Not impossible, but crazy. Unless you would like to do a commercial MPEG library instead of a game (be aware, the MPEG-X and such video compressing technologies are shark territory legally speaking)

Since the PocketPC has a small screen (I guess..) pherhaps you won't need such power as the MPEG. Pherhaps using JPEG and storing them in different frames, or using RLE (easy), LZW (moderate), LZMA (should be easy thanks to 7-Zip).
It's not the best solution but is simple and might work.

I strongly suggest reading this

This is all I can help
Hope it's been usefull
Dark Sylinc
Thanks for your reply Matias. I read the FFmpeg License and Legal Considerations document you suggested and yes, I think I'll stay away from MPEG.

Unfortunately, storing the different frames as separated images is a no-go for me: I've been doing some rough calculations and the game's size would be unbearable and, I think, few game portals would be happy to host a game of that size.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. I've found an open format called Theora, I'll see if I can manage to port its decoder and make it run moderately fast on the Pocket PC.

If someone else comes up with some other suggestion, feel free to post it here. Thanks again for all your help,

--Nacho

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement