Help with ioquake3

Started by
4 comments, last by NineYearCycle 16 years, 1 month ago
i keep getting this error when compiling the ioquake3 source, i plan to use this for my first person shooter and it is really annoying when errors like this happen:

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'openal32.lib'

i have the right visual c++ directories setup and everything else compiles fine. Could someone help?
Advertisement
You have to install the OpenAL SDK. It is a 3rd party sound SDK - fortunately for you it is open source, so it should be no problem at all.

Of course, after you run the win32 installer you will still need to set the include and lib paths in visual studio to the OpenAL include/lib paths.

Then it will work.

OpenAL - open audio library which happnes to be very familiar to OpenGL
nope, i just said, i already installed this and added it to the "VC++ Directories"
that is to say i added the Libs and Include folder to the VC++ directories
okay don't worry, i managed to fix it
oh and BTW, is there a way to change the name of the compiled exe so that when it is compiled it has a name other than ioquake3.exe?
Two things:
#1 Its handy if you fix a problem to post what the fix is so thats other finding your posts know how to fix it too.

#2 yes you can you have to open the properties page for you project then its down under these headings (in vs2003, similar in vs2005 etc)(Properties -> Linker -> General -> Output File): "ioquake3.exe".

Andy

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement