• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Samurai Jack

OpenGL Did anyone mange to compile OpenGL under Cygwin?

This topic is 3873 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I'm wondering whenever someone managed to acctualy build and OpenGL program under cygwin? The thing is, I would like to "fake" X11 functionality under Windows XP not needed to go into Linux, but the I couldn't build the simplest NeHe samples. Of course, my cygiwin installation X server is installed and working (glut exe/binary samples do work!) but I would like to create my own window and display some OpenGL graphics. Thank you in advance!

Advertisement
Hey!

I am not sure why you would want to do something like that. OpenGL does work under Windows right away.
Seriously if you want to develop something, a rat tail like that will get into your way. I would suggest you to install a decent ide like Microsoft Visual Studio Express (that´s probably the easiest to setup and I believe that the compiler is great) and then fetch the SDL libraries (www.libsdl.org).
The SDL will take care of window creation platform independently and will also work with X11 perfectly (MacOSX also). There should be plenty of tutorials to setup MSVC Express (which is free) with OpenGL/SDL.

Hope that helps a bit - always try to keep things simple ;-)

I'm confused as to why you would want to compile OpenGL - an interface to graphics card drivers that usually is closed-source. Do you mean compile a program that *uses* OpenGL? Since that is a very different matter.

And regardless of what you're compiling, give us errors and any necessary source files.

I agree with Frederick about using SDL.

No no.

I would just like to write a cross platform compatible mini framework. I don't want to switch between linux and windows. If a NeHe OpenGL sample application compiles under cygwin it will most probably also under Linux.

I don't want to use glut because it sets me limits.

You'll have to use either glut or wgl for using opengl under windows. And because wgl is windows only (afaik) you'll have to make separate code for linux.

The only other way is to use glut or anything similar.

And what limits are you referring too? There are solutions for limits with framebuffer types and list sharing.

Argh. Nobody understands me.

I would like to run the code for window creation under Xserver. I don't want to call WINAPI instead I would like to use the Xlib functions for window creation and handling. It is not ment to be a pure win32 application.

For the win32 part I will use a different codepath.

Quote:
Original post by Samurai Jack
I would like to run the code for window creation under Xserver. I don't want to call WINAPI instead I would like to use the Xlib functions for window creation and handling. It is not ment to be a pure win32 application. For the win32 part I will use a different codepath.

I think everyone understands that, but the question is why? There are countless cross-platform windowing toolkits that handle pretty much everything; about the only case when you need to implement your own is if you need advanced multi-monitor support.

[Edited by - swiftcoder on March 7, 2008 7:25:37 AM]

Quote:
Original post by Samurai Jack
I'm wondering whenever someone managed to acctualy build and OpenGL program under cygwin?

I have several times for a number of years.

Quote:
The thing is, I would like to "fake" X11 functionality under Windows XP not needed to go into Linux, but the I couldn't build the simplest NeHe samples.

Without any details, it is impossible for me to speculate what you did wrong.

Quote:
Of course, my cygiwin installation X server is installed and working (glut exe/binary samples do work!) but I would like to create my own window and display some OpenGL graphics.

Thank you in advance!

I highly recommend posting to cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com. You are much more likely to get a useful response there.

Just use SDL. Then you don't have to have separate code paths for Windows and Linux, plus you get Mac and many other platforms for "free".

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!