switching sdl opengl

Started by
0 comments, last by rip-off 16 years, 1 month ago
hello, is there any info in the sdl docs about switching between sdl and opengl? or do i actually need this? basically, say i create an opengl window then at a later stage i want to use sdl to draw(or do something else), could i just use flags for this, or would this hamper the opengl, i haven't tested anything yet so this is just to ask for some advice beforehand, obviously i would have to be careful that the opengl state doesn't change while doing other sdl stuff, and when opengl gets recalled it is as before. am i thinking correctly?
Advertisement
At any time, your window can either be an OpenGL context or a SDL based surface. In order to switch between them you would have to call SDL_SetVideoMode again, which would ditch the current OpenGL context or dispose of the current SDL frame buffer.

If you want to have a 2D overlay on OpenGL, you can use something like this to get the correct matrices, then draw what you want. Code to upload a SDL_Surface to an OpenGL texture is provided with the SDL source code (it is in the "test" folder, or was last time I checked).

Here is an example that demonstrates these concepts.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement