Sign in to follow this  
Manu2

.X exporter & 3ds Max 8 Sdk : GetQuickSampledKeys() is buggy ?

Hello, I got the sources of the .X exporter Kwxport for 3ds Max 8 ( http://kwxport.sourceforge.net/ ), and as it's exporting all sampled frames for animation, I wanted to modify it so it'd export only the Key Frames. To do so, I thought I'd use the function GetQuickSampledKeys() from the 3ds Max 8 SDK. Unfortunately, it seems it's quite buggy : the keys seems to be all wrong. Code : if (Igc->IsAnimated(IGAME_POS)) { IGameKeyTab Keys; if (Igc->GetQuickSampledKeys(Keys, IGAME_POS)) { int NbKey = Keys.Count(); for (i = 0; i < NbKey; ++i) { IGameKey &Key = Keys[i]; int Time = Key.t; Point3 p = Key.sampleKey.pval; [ ... write P in file ... ] } } } Key.sampleKey.pval then contains crazy values.. Doing the same thing with IGAME_SCALE gives the same values than with IGAME_POS, but stocked in Key.sampleKey.sval.s instead of Key.sampleKey.pval . Key.t is consistent & valid. Calling Igc->GetQuickSampledKeys(Keys, IGAME_ROT) doesn't work any better, and even create a bug later in the exporter (coz of some buffer overrun ?). I'm using latest version of 3DXI, found here : http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=7481484 . I wonder if it's related to the controller type being Biped instead of linear or something more simple... Anyone already tried to use this function ?

I'm pretty disillusioned with IGame. It was billed as the future of data export, but it's never been particularly robust. I would suggest going to the underlying Max node and extracting the animation using the regular Max SDK.

Hello hplus0603,

thanks for ur answer! ;)

Yesterday, I tried this :

int Id = node->GetNodeID();
Interface *ip = GetCOREInterface();
INode *iNode = ip->GetINodeByHandle(Id);
Control *c = iNode->GetTMController()->GetPositionController();
if (c)
{
int Keyable = c->IsKeyable();
int NbKey = ikeys->GetNumKeys();

for (i = 0; i < NbKey; ++i)
{
ITCBPoint3Key Key;

ikeys->GetKey(i, &Key);

int Time = Key.time;
Point3 p = Key.val;
// write P & Time to file...
}
[...]

I'm getting the correct number of keys (same than with IGame), but IsKeyable() returns false, and it seems I'm only getting the ITCBKey filled (with values a bit contradictory with SDK doc :-S ), while ITCBPoint3Key::val is untouched... Only 7 floats are modified, and only ITCBKey has this size.

I guess the mesh I want to convert use a kind of keys that is not easily possible to fetch as Scale/Rot/Pos, or there are some bugs in the Sdk.

Strangely, Panda exporter seems to manage not too bad to export only Keyframes, but it clearly misses some of them : the legs of my biped don't have any animation..! :-S

I also tried to figure out the KeyFrames by analyzing the sampled P/S/Rot, but due to imprecisions, it makes the animation jerk as soon as I remove a bit too much frames.

If I'm using the .ASE exporter, it seems the key frames are well exported in P/S/Rot form, but the format seems a bit different from .X so I guess I'll have to figure out how the re-create the animation if I go with the .ASE file... :-S

I found an explanation in the Max SDK that it's not possible to interpolate the Keys in World Space (like it's done in the DirectX 8 examples, and probably in DX9 Sdk as well), coz Max interpolates them in Local Space.

I guess that's why when Panda exports only KeyFrames, the result is weird with the different DirectX Viewers...

Thus, if I want to interpolate only the KeyFrames, I'd need to change many things (both exporter & renderer work with World Space), so I give up for now, and I'll use the full sampled frames...