need persuasive resources on game scripting

Started by
0 comments, last by LorenzoGatti 16 years, 1 month ago
I swear to all of your gods that I have searched. I need to convince my technical, but non-developer manager (and then the rest of my team) that we need to push development as much as possible out of C++ and onto a high level language. Both 'embedded interpreter' style, and 'game code in HLL which calls native libraries' style. I started outlining an article myself but there are more articulate people than me who have posted and blogged about it in a million places, but I can't seem to find any good threads. I had a memory of Kromit's journal and it turned out to be about beginner programming languages. There are a few articles about it on GD but they aren't terribly convincing. Its user forum content where the gems are but it gets lost so easily. any help? Im not looking for you to write your thoughts (unless you want to), I'm looking for sources. If there are no existing unified sources and I end up citing them all into my own notes, I'll treat them for public consumption and post an article or something.
Advertisement
A point that isn't clear from your post is whether you already recommended a scripting-intensive architecture to the manager, and failed to persuade him, or you are preparing as well as possible for a decisive first discussion of the matter.

In both cases, preparing a long essay is a little strange; maybe your manager would be more impressed by a good demo than by whitepapers.
You can find some open source and highly scripted game that is somewhat somewhat similar to your project, and show your manager a small and clean code base, a simple and inexpensive integration between script interpreter and game engine, how you can modify the game easily and in short iterations, and all other advantages of scripting.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement