Is learning two languages at a time a good idea?

Started by
21 comments, last by Telastyn 16 years, 1 month ago
To start, I have never programmed a thing in my life. I have followed the game industry for a long time, and I think I finally want to start programming. I have been told that learning two languages would be a good idea, do you agree with this statement?
Advertisement
It's good to learn multiple languages ... eventually. When you're just starting out pick one and focus on it until you feel comfortable and then learn the other languages.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
It's good to learn multiple languages ... eventually. When you're just starting out pick one and focus on it until you feel comfortable and then learn the other languages.

Thank you, I will do that.
Have you picked a language yet?
Quote:Original post by DevFred
Have you picked a language yet?

I am thinking of Visual Basic .net, because I hear it is easy, and a second language i would have picked would be python.
Quote:I have followed the game industry for a long time, and I think I finally want to start programming.

Ok. First write one program. That will turn out a big enough challenge, perhaps taking a week or a month.

Quote:I have been told that learning two languages would be a good idea, do you agree with this statement

If you go the programming path, then some formal education, at least one area of expertise, and ability to learn arbitrary number of languages will be quite welcome and give you a competitive edge.

If you're doing this for gaming industry alone (aka the job and money), and not for your passion of game development, then you'll need to know C++ at guru level.

If you find you like programming, then you'll likely have no choice but to get some formal education background. That gives you the advantage (since you'd be passionate about it), to choose between a variety of fields to work in, and not be constrained to an insanely competitive niche market.
Quote:
If you're doing this for gaming industry alone (aka the job and money), and not for your passion of game development, then you'll need to know C++ at guru level.

I have also heard, that C++ is also to complicated for a beginner to learn, so I am going to stay clear of that field for a while.
Quote:Original post by themagicalrock
Quote:

I have also heard, that C++ is also to complicated for a beginner to learn, so I am going to stay clear of that field for a while.

Yup it's like learning 2 languages at once!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by themagicalrock
Quote:

Yes, it is complicated, even for experts. But it remains a fact that solid knowledge of C++ is almost mandatory for getting into industry, something which you mentioned as your only motivation (there might be other, but you didn't mention it).

This is why it's important to first clear out your goals. Rather than aiming for some broad understanding of many languages from day one, get your feet wet first, then see if starting with several completely different languages works for you. To start, get things working first. Grabbing too much of completely unfamiliar territory is likely to leave you more frustrated than you need to be.
From what you all have said, I have decided to start by learning C++, because you have been saying it is crucial to get into the career. Thank you all for the opinions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement