what engine should i use,

Started by
5 comments, last by divineknight1 16 years, 1 month ago
hi im cant deside what engine to use. all i really want is something where i can import a terrain and put a model on top of it. well a few models. i need it so i can like walk around, nothing fancy just walk. xna studio hates my computer and so does java. i got a new computer and java engines hates it. software im using right now gmax a little 3ds max (at my friends house) sketch up terrain generator vb,c#,C++ express and som other stuff. thanks allot. :) :)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by divineknight1
Hi, I can't decide what engine to use.
I want something where I can import a terrain and put a few models on top of it.
I also need to be able to walk around on the terrain.

Inexplicably, I can't use XNA or Java.

Here's a list of software I'm using right now, in case it's relevant to my decision:
gmax
a little 3ds max (at my friends house)
sketch up
terrain generator
vb, c#, C++ express
and some other stuff.

thanks a lot. :) :)

You could just use DirectX (not an engine). Model loading is simple if you use the ".x" format, and there's plenty of easy tutorials for rendering a simple terrain from a height-map.
Also, walking on a height-map terrain is pretty simple; you just let the player move freely in two-dimensions, and then set their height (the 3rd dimension) automatically from the values in the height-map.
thanks. i downloaded the direct x sdk is there any other software i would need.
if you dont know thats ok ill figure it out.
thanks for the help.
The DirectX SDK contains a fair bit. You should be able to hit the ground running. There are plenty of 3D models etc. to play with. So, you can concentrate more on learning the API rather than worrying about finding graphical media.

www.directxtutorial.com got me started years ago and it is pretty easy to follow.

Good luck :)
You may want to give OGRE of Irrlicht a try. Or, if you're into rapid prototyping, Panda3D (Python) can also be pretty usefull.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Ogre is great for quick results, crossplatform, and produces exceptional speed and quality. The community is extremely fast to respond and are very helpful.

Ogre is what actually started me down the path of learning to program in C++.

www.ogre3d.org
thanks allot guys it helped me allot.
i tried game maker. it worked good except its new to 3d and is kinda confusing.

thanks for the help :) :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement