Hello from Atlanta!

Started by
1 comment, last by Oluseyi 16 years, 1 month ago
Hey guys, I am new to this forum would like to say hi with a few questions. First of all, I have always been an avid video game player and recently became interested in learning how to make them work. I was wondering what are the best ways to get educated on these topics and where to start. I have always been interested in the AI and physics aspects of the game and especially gameplay. I have never done any programming before aside from html and was wondering what are the best resources and where to start. Also, if i were to consider this for a career, how do you get an education in game programming. I am a sophomore in high school and my parents are set on me going to a division 1 school, not a game design school, so is it still possible to get good programming education at lets say Georgia Tech. All your help is greatly appreciated! -Brian
Advertisement
I don't know anything about Georgia Tech, but I imagine they have a Computer Science program. That would be the best starting point - because you'll need to learn how to program.
Pay attention in Physics, Calculus, and especially linear algebra. Then take a computer graphics course, and any game programming courses they offer.
The whole time you're in school, start learning on your own. Read every tutorial you can get your hands on, and try stuff. Build things - challenge yourself.
It's a tough path - so I hope you want it bad enough!

Good luck
-----------------------Codito, ergo sumhttp://www.klaymore.net
Welcome, Brian!

Quote:Original post by brian7
First of all, I have always been an avid video game player and recently became interested in learning how to make them work. I was wondering what are the best ways to get educated on these topics and where to start.

There are no "bests." There are a variety of options, each of varying quality, but you're going to find that GameDev is an excellent source for answers to most of your questions. The most valuable resource here is the community, so read the forums (search them via Google) and feel free to ask questions.

Quote:I have always been interested in the AI and physics aspects of the game and especially gameplay. I have never done any programming before aside from html and was wondering what are the best resources and where to start.

There are, again, a lot of different options. The truth is that you'll have to try out different ones and see which suits you best. I tend to recommend Python, but C# is another popular recommendation for beginners. The most important thing is to pick a language and stick with it.

Quote:Also, if i were to consider this for a career, how do you get an education in game programming. I am a sophomore in high school and my parents are set on me going to a division 1 school, not a game design school, so is it still possible to get good programming education at lets say Georgia Tech.

Actually, many of us still recommend a traditional computer science education over a specialized game design school, though the quality of those schools is rapidly improving - not uniformly, though. You can get an excellent game development education at Georgia Tech; there are actually a number of highly-regarded industry activities centered around that school, such as the Experimental Game Lab and Professor Ian Bogost of Persuasive Games fame.

Don't knock the traditional route!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement