• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Noods

Open file dialog box...

This topic is 3872 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking to program a utility to view sprite animations. To accomplish this, I would like to use an open file dialog box, similar to the one you see when you hit ctrl-O in Internet Explorer. Can someone point me to a resource I can use to learn how to accomplish this? It would be great to do this with Win32 as I'm not very familiar with the .NET framework right now. However, if someone has a good .NET resource, or any resource for that matter, I would be very interested to check it out. Thanks! -Noods

Advertisement
No, but I'll try some different immplementations of that next time I get some time in front of a compiler. Thanks!

Sometime back, I wrote a small utility (in VB) which uses GetOpenFileName(). Found out later that it fails to work on XP, but worked fined in Win98. Couldn't figure out why. Anyone know?

The MSDN says it works in XP.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms646927(VS.85).aspx

Quote:
Note, when selecting multiple files, the total character limit for the file names depends on the operating system and the version of the function.

-Windows 95/98/Me: (only ANSI is supported) no restriction
-Microsoft Windows NT4 and earlier: 32k limit
-Windows 2000/XP: (ANSI) 32k limit, (Unicode) no restriction

Quote:
Original post by vrihai
Sometime back, I wrote a small utility (in VB) which uses GetOpenFileName(). Found out later that it fails to work on XP, but worked fined in Win98. Couldn't figure out why. Anyone know?

If I had to guess (and I have to since you don't provide any code) I would probably say that when you performed the blót to appease the coding gods you didn't prepare the sacrificial pyre with the proper mix of nine woods.

Okay... I don't have the code with me right now, but I guess it had something to do with VB and how it handled structures.

It was probably something like an OPENFILENAME struct member that wasn't initialised correctly, and Windows 98 was more forgiving. Or the added security features in XP caused it to fail.

In what way did it fail exactly?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!