• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nullsquared

Encoding 16 and 32 bit floating point value into RGBA byte texture

5 posts in this topic

So, basically, I calculate a single value in one of my shaders that I want to store in a usual RGBA texture, each channel being 8 bits. Now, I have two options - store a 16 bit value in two channels of the texture, or a 32-bit value using all of the texture's channels. My question, however, is, how do I "encode" this 16 bit value into two 8-bit channels? How would I "decode" it for use later on (from the same texture)? How would I do the same 2 things, but with the 32 bit value? Is it even possible to "distribute" like this? Many thanks in advance! By the way, yes, I know about floating point textures. But I'd rather not make use of them (even though they work, my previous implementation used them), there are some things I want to try with the byte texture.

In a 16 Bit Bitmap the bits are stored in a 565 format. That is 5 bits for Red, 6 bits for Green and again 5 Bits for Blue. You'll have to align these bits using the '<<' and '>>' operators and a macro so that it can be stored in an array as the pixel format you want to write. There is another very recent post by me on this forum going by the name of 'Accessing the pixel data in a BMP'. In that there is a reply by Big Sassy. Check out the link he has posted for further details.

About the 32 bit Bitmap, I too am not sure about it. I also have a doubt in it.

In shaderland, each channel of an 8888 texture represents a number between 0.0 and 1.0 inclusive using an 8 bit integer. The conversion from float to int that happen when a texture is written to is basically int(floatValue*255.0). The conversion from int to float that happens when a texture is read is float(intValue)/255.0

To store a value between 0.0 and 1.0 using 4 8-bit channels to achieve 32-bit precision you need to simulate fixed point operations using floating point math. Use multiplies as shifts, frac() to mask off the >1.0 bits and the assignment to an 8-bit output to mask off the <1.0/255 bits.

The obvious way to do this is shown here.
WARNING: This doesn't work (explained later).

FloatToInt()
out.r = frac(floatValue*1);
out.g = frac(floatValue*255);
out.b = frac(floatValue*255*255);
out.a = frac(floatValue*255*255*255);

IntToFloat()
in = intValue.r/(1)
+intValue.g/(255)
+intValue.b/(255*255)
+intValue.a/(255*255*255);

Obviously, FloatToInt() can be optimized to frac(floatValue*vectorConstant) and IntToFloat() can be optimized to dot(intValue, vectorContant2).

Unfortunately, we don't want to store 0.0 to 1.0 inclusive in each of the channels. If the channels include both extremes then the extreme values of each channel would overlap because they are equivalent. That means the above math would record 1.0/255 as (1, 255, 0, 0) which is double the correct value.

Instead we want to store 0.0 to 255.0/256 in each channel. That is the range of values represented by an 8-bit fixed point value. To convert a floating point [0.0,1.0] to a fixed point-ish [0.0,255.0/256] we multiply by 255.0/256.

FloatToInt()
const float toFixed = 255.0/256;
out.r = frac(floatValue*toFixed*1);
out.g = frac(floatValue*toFixed*255);
out.b = frac(floatValue*toFixed*255*255);
out.a = frac(floatValue*toFixed*255*255*255);

IntToFloat()
const float fromFixed = 256.0/255;
in = intValue.r*fromFixed/(1)
+intValue.g*fromFixed/(255)
+intValue.b*fromFixed/(255*255)
+intValue.a*fromFixed/(255*255*255);

Here's the bit of python I wrote to make sure I'm not full of shit.

def load(v):
r,g,b,a = v
return r/255.0, g/255.0, b/255.0, a/255.0

def store(v):
r,g,b,a = v
return int(r*255), int(g*255), int(b*255), int(a*255)

def frac(f):
return f - int(f)

def floatToFixed(f):
toFixed = 255.0/256
return frac(f*toFixed*1), frac(f*toFixed*255), frac(f*toFixed*255*255), frac(f*toFixed*255*255*255)

def fixedToFloat(v):
r,g,b,a = v
fromFixed = 256.0/255
return r*fromFixed/1 + g*fromFixed/(255) + b*fromFixed/(255*255) + a*fromFixed/(255*255*255)

print fixedToFloat(load(store(floatToFixed(1.0))))
print fixedToFloat(load(store(floatToFixed(0.0))))
print fixedToFloat(load(store(floatToFixed(0.5))))
print fixedToFloat(load(store(floatToFixed(1.0/3))))

result:

Wow, thank you very much! Also, thanks for explaining it shader-wise, because I am indeed doing this in a shader [smile].

Some questions:
- for example, what if the value was over 1? Would this still work, or no?
- how would I store the same value, but in 16 bits (two channels)?

If you want to store a value over 1, you need to know what your range is. Before converting floatToFixed,you will need to divide by the range to map [0,range] down to [0,1]. Then when converting back with fixedToFloat you multiply the [0,1] value by the maximum range.

If you only want 16 bits of precision then just do the r and g portions of the code. The algorithm is incremental over any number of channels.

Quote:
Original post by corysama
If you want to store a value over 1, you need to know what your range is. Before converting floatToFixed,you will need to divide by the range to map [0,range] down to [0,1]. Then when converting back with fixedToFloat you multiply the [0,1] value by the maximum range.

Aha, I see. I use a normalized value, but was just wondering what would happen [grin]. I tested it with a small C++ demo, too [lol].
Quote:

If you only want 16 bits of precision then just do the r and g portions of the code. The algorithm is incremental over any number of channels.

Wow, that easy? This is really neat!

Again, thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it [smile].