• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dillscon

Success of a Casual Programmer?

This topic is 3721 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been casually programming for about 2 years now if we add up everything that ive done off and on. I'm wondering how successful people like me can become? I'm not interested in going to college for it, but I enjoy making programs/games in my spare time. Do I have a shot at being able to do anything comercial going at this soft of a pace? And I dont mean game wise there, because obviously that would require a team even and games are way too competetive to go at casually.

Advertisement
Maybe I'm just speaking for me, but if you're doing something you enjoy rather than something you don't is success enough these days.

Hi go for it I did.
I dont mean game wise there, because obviously that would require a team even and games are way too competetive to go at casually.

bull you can put up a wall if you like but doing so you will neaver climb it.

Just do it don't think about it to much or nothing gets done.

Quote:
Original post by dillscon
Do I have a shot at being able to do anything comercial going at this soft of a pace?

You're asking if your current lazy pace (I mean nothing pejorative by the term "lazy," it's just a reasonably accurate descriptor*) might possibly get you someplace that most people work hard to get to.

Answer: Anything is possible.

(Likelihood, however, is a different matter.)

*Some people strive towards that sort of vocation or avocation, with a firm plan in mind. Sounds like you're using more of an asymptotic approach, wishing for serendipity to kind of just get you there, without your having to make an effort. (Just going by the wording of your question.)

Some articles for further reading, if I haven't alienated you:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson50.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson49.htm

Success is relative. I define success as accomplishing something new and or challenging. So , by that definition , just making progress is being successful. Now if you measure success by financial or critical acclaim , then still , yes it is possible , but shouldn't be your motive imo.

Bill Gates didn't graduate college :)

I jest, but like someone said before, anything is possible. Personally, I think the likelihood of commercial success is a function directly proportional to the time/effort invested. Casually making applications is somewhat akin to casually snapping photographs -- if it's something you enjoy, do it! However, understand that the professional photographers probably did go to college and are shooting 1000 pictures a day, hence their ability to earn an income from their effort. But, if you measure success by some other metric, I think you will be quite happy with your investment.

Quote:
Original post by dillscon
I've been casually programming for about 2 years now if we add up everything that ive done off and on.

I'm wondering how successful people like me can become? I'm not interested in going to college for it, but I enjoy making programs/games in my spare time.

Do I have a shot at being able to do anything comercial going at this soft of a pace? And I dont mean game wise there, because obviously that would require a team even and games are way too competetive to go at casually.

Alot of business programming is utterly simple. Its more the input and output and covering of endcases than complex programming (and usuall those processes are well known (simple) equations/algorithms).

Even simple graphical visualizations are a vast improvement over reams of numbers in tables.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!