• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Numpad Heap Corruption

This topic is 3634 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Why would pressing 3 and/or 4 on the numpad "corrupt the heap" and/or cause the alpha and/or non-alpha portion of a blended image to disappear? This is in OpenGL, Win32, and VC++2008.

Advertisement
Because you have a bug in your code.

It's nothing to do with the specific keys 3 and 4 (or indeed anything to do with the keyboard).

Somewhere in your code, you're corrupting the heap. The actual problem probably occurred at an earlier point, but it might not be detected immediately.

I've always been a bit confused about how one corrupts the heap. What operations are likely culprits for this bug, and why would it only present itself when I press those specific keys (which, afaik, have nothing to do with the heap)?

A link to an explanation of heap corruption would probably be more helpful than me just copying your answers, so if anyone knows one, I'd appreciate it. I found one myself, but it seemed rather outdated... and I'm occasionally paranoid trusting random sites to teach me new things. There's no QA on the net.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement