CARD GAME ONLINE

Started by
2 comments, last by AcePilot 16 years, 1 month ago
Hello everyone, I want to make a multiplayer card game online, which people will play with real money via their Credit cards) ...........Its quite simple compared to the PC online games out there right now so im guessing i would have to concentrate more on games prog. than games design. what language do i need to learn in order to make this type of game? what platform do i need to use to create such a game? what do i need to know about Servers , Internet, Banking, CC card Info, etc for an online game? what is the use of softwares like DarkBasic, GameMaker, Visual C++, Maya ? can it help me make a card game? Please reply back with any other helpful info you can. IN GENERAL I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT GOES INTO CREATING SUCH A GAME FROM START (programming it) TO FINISH (putting it on a server and making people play online)
Advertisement
Add two more things to the list of things you need to learn about:
- Legalities
- Security

Playing card games for money is illegal in some countries, so you have to figure out all the implications.

When money is involved, people will look for ways to cheat and hack. So you also need a plan for solid security.

Good luck learning all that stuff you listed plus these 2.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Without sounding too harsh: if you have to ask those questions, you should not include monetary transactions in your plans. I understand it's a nice goal, but probably not something you want to do for a first attempt with no previous experience and then make people pay for. There are simply too many legal and security issues at stake, as Tom mentioned.

HOWEVER, i don't discourage you from creating the game itself.

For an online game you should probably look at using Flash w/ ActionScript first.
You can use pretty much any language that supports sockets and networking. The platform and development tools you use depends on that language choice. For example, if you want to code it in C++, Visual Studio Express would be a good choice.

If you really want to make this game as your first project, it will take a lot of design. You will have to decide on a networking architecture such as client-server or peer to peer. If you choose the first, you will have to design and code two programs instead of just one. Then you will have to come up with some type of secure protocol that will allow different players to communicate with each other or the server.

The game logic itself will be quite simple since this is a card game, and will probably take up only around ten percent of your time. Graphics also shouldn't be a problem. I would suggest you start off by reading up on networking, then moving on to the game logic and network code. Try to get that done first, and worry about the money part later.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement